1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Life Extension Ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PylonShadow, Dec 23, 2019.

1. PylonShadow

PylonShadow New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All. I'm a new owner of a 2009 Prius with 155,000 miles on it. I live in a major city and intend to use the car roughly every other weekend or so. For the most part the car will be parked in a lot and left there anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks at a time.

On Saturday I drove the car for 2 hours. On Sunday I tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn on. We removed the 12v battery and took it to an Auto Parts store where they said the battery was fine and recharged it up. Placed the battery back in and the car was fine.

My question is this. Seeing as I live in the Northeast and the weather will be cold, as well as leaving the car for days or weeks at a time, what should I be doing to try and avoid this situation in the future? I won't be able to take out the battery (a bit of a painful process with all the screws there) and charge it up at an Auto parts store every time. I'm really not a car guy so excuse my ignorance but is there some sort of portable charger, or solar charger that I should be looking into that I can have at the ready in case I were to run into this problem in the future? Thanks for your help

2. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it a 10 year old battery? It may be time to replace it. You could keep the small emergency Lithium battery to jump start the car yourself.

With a 10 year old car I would be more concerned with Main Hybrid battery when keeping the car unused to 3 weeks.

I have a 2005 Prius. I am leaving it with a friend to be used while I am away for 10 days. This car needs to be used regularly. More particularly as it gets old.

3. PylonShadow

PylonShadow New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply. The 12v battery is only about 2 years old. The main Prius battery however is the original one.

4. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Battery tender. It charges your 12v battery while your car sits for days or weeks. Unfortunately the worst thing for all Priuses are sitting around not having the main hybrid charging. The only way to charge the main battery is driving it.

SM-J737T1 ?

srellim234 and PylonShadow like this.
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well your 12v battery should be able to go a few weeks without use and still power up the cars electronics when you’re ready. There is a small button under the steering wheel that turns the smart key on and off. You can turn it off to have less draw on the 12v, since the car is always looking for a key! You can use the physical key to unlock the drivers door and put the key fob in the slot to start it.

PylonShadow likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    now might be a good time to consider a prolong hybrid battery charger, but if you are leaving the car in a lot with no available electrical source, you probably purchased the wrong car.

srellim234 likes this.
  7. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with @bisco

If the use of the car is gonna be the same for a while, like years that way,
    may be best to get a Corolla or even an older Lexus.

Otherwise, just carry a cheap jumper pack with you ($30~$50), and jump it safely when needed.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    THAT doesn't bode well for the future.

A Prius with the SKS turned off will be no more likely to have a problem starting after a 2 week "nap" than most any other car.
    IF you drive it enough when you DO drive it.

A solar battery tender would be ideal IF it is parked in the sun.

Not starting again the day after driving it for 2 hours tends to indicate that the battery needs to be replaced.......no matter what the test showed.

9. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    to be honest a lot of these "my battery is bad" stories remind me of my own personal "my battery is bad" story - which was in fact not the battery but the failing combination meter which i eventually replaced with a refurb from texashybridbatteries. the confusing part was that unplugging and replugging my battery would temporarily allow me to start the car sometimes... until one day it didnt.

strawbrad likes this.