1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Light and Car with Exclamation mark on screen display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stuck_1, May 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stuck_1

Stuck_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just bought a high mileage (262k) 2008 prius, and there is a few issues. On the display (the screen one, not the speedometer cluster), there is a red battery symbol and a car with an exclamation point in it. Im not sure what these mean, could anyone help?

Other info that may be useful:
    The battery reads 12.2V while off and 14.4V while running.

The only thing I've done since getting it was fix the check engine light (due to faulty wiring on a sensor plug at the coolant tank), and turning off the ABS and BRAKE lights using a paperclip and pressing the brake 8 times. The light was on before this.

There is still the red triangle, (!), and VSC, but i am not looking to solve them in this thread unless it is related to the issue.

2. irishluder

irishluder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    that is related to your hybrid battery voltage... I'm new too so I'm just learning... but you'll want to run the codes and it will tell you what pack is showing low voltage issues. If you search my username you'll see my thread.

You'll likely have 2 options:
    Find bad battery packs (Modules) and replace, balance entire pack using RC chargers, and reinstall and hope for the best. Most likely will be a fix of 6 months to a year or two.

OR

Replace with new battery pack, more expensive but will last many many years.

Goodluck and post codes for more help from vets on here.

#2 irishluder, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The best part of that advice is indeed "run the codes". Then you will find out from the codes you get whether you are looking at a battery module voltage issue like irishluder had, or any of the other issues that can arise with the battery.

You might want to get your own equipment for reading the trouble codes, so that you will also have it when the brake codes you cleared come back, and you can find out what those were.

irishluder and jerrymildred like this.
  4. Scully

Scully Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two