1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Minder Tender Maintainer charge/discharge behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Jun 29, 2009.

1. BigDeal

BigDeal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My car is used infrequently, so I was concerned about it's battery health from sitting unused in the bitter cold we can get in the winters. So I bought the Xtreme charger due to Darrell's enthusiastic endorsement.

I was wondering if I can hook up the charger to the jump points in the front, or does it need to be connected to the actual battery? And also I wanted to keep the pigtails hooked up all the time, but the rings on it almost look like they aren't big enough to fit on the battery posts.

I haven't tried to hook anything up yet, just want to make sure I do things right the first time. Anyone have any advice for me?

TIA,
    Connie

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would recommend to the actual 12 vdc battery. Although VDC claims polarity protection, its very important to ensure the polarity is correct. A few Prius have been completely fried - thousands in damage - from a jump start done improperly

1 person likes this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Finally ordered a BatteryMINDer online. Can I hook it up to the jump start point in the engine compartment or do I have to connect it directly to the battery posts?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either way, whatever is easier for you.

1 person likes this.
  5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With both the Prius and the FJ, the Battery Minder is hooked up directly to the battery. But the Prius underhood jump point will probably be fine too. Certainly easier to get to

1 person likes this.