1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by GeekEV, Oct 6, 2006.

1. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am considering doing a battery mod to increase capacity, but was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with this? I've found some info about a guy who had played with that, but it was old and provided no real details. I've also seen all the plugin mods, which also involve battery mods. But that's a bit more than I want to tackle because of the extensive changes needed to make the computer properly deal with an externally charged battery...

I'm thinking about simply adding another battery pack with the same specs in parallel. From what I know of batteries, this really won't change a darn thing as far as the car is concerned, but will make the battery last longer. Main question is, will it be worth it? How much difference would that make to my mileage given that it wouldn't be a plugin? I wonder.

I've been looking, and can get the property batteries in bulk such that I could boost it to 176% capacity for about $700, or 253% capacity for about $1,300. I'm leaning towards the bigger is better, of course. :)

Thoughts? Opinions?

P.S. For the curious, that should only add about 100 pounds to the car weight...

2. diepriusdie!!!

Here you could try this link or perhaps this

hope that helps.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diepriusdie!!! @ Oct 6 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]329189[/snapback]</div>
    hey, is your handle german for "theprius, the"?

I'd stay away from messing with the car just to double the capacity. If you could increase it by an order of magnitude or more that'd be one thing but the battery is so wee that simply doubling it isn't going to really help much and if you trash the car you'll be severely bummed.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diepriusdie!!! @ Oct 6 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]329189[/snapback]</div>

wow. nice links. :)

5. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 6 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]329200[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good bit of information... If doubling won't help much, it's definitely not worth doing. Higher capacities are of course possible with more batteries (or different kinds of batteries) & cost... Which also begs the question on if it's worth it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diepriusdie!!! @ Oct 6 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]329189[/snapback]</div>
    That is a nice and handy link, but they're both the same! :eek: The way you phrased it seems to suggest they were meant to be different links?

Thanks!