1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Module Info-OEM 2007 disassembly & cycling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TMR-JWAP, Mar 18, 2017.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just wanted to put an example out there showing what can be expected. This is for the DIYers who are getting ready to tackle a module replacement/battery rebuild.

Some history: I purchased a 2007 Prius several weeks ago to replace my 2005. The 2007 had the hybrid warning lights and the previous owner didn't want to deal with the $4031 quote provided by his dealer (He showed me the paper). This car has had all services, including oil changes, done at the same two dealerships for it's entire 143,000 mile life. I have all the printouts from the Toyota website (37 total I think). I removed the hybrid battery and installed 28 modules from a wrecked 2011 . All 28 of the 2011 modules were cycled and tested, with all showing >6000mah capacity.

The 2007 modules were clamped and put through the same cycling/testing using 3 HiTec X4 AC+ multichargers. It was about 3 weeks from the time the previous owner stopped driving it until I took voltages and started testing. The chart below shows the initial voltage of the modules, the initial discharge capacity result, and the final cycle capacity results. I actually did 5 cycles on these modules because I wanted to see how close last 2 were to each other.

It's interesting because it shows just how varied each individual module can be after 10 years of service, even with similar voltages, and how much better they can potentially become. This is a great example of why voltage readings alone cannot provide an accurate indication of module health. These will be heading for ebay shortly after they sit for a bit so I can check for self discharge. Obviously, there is one module in the chart that is beyond help. There's a couple others that started off a bit sketchy (<7.2v) and will stay in the shop for experimenting and long term monitoring for self discharge.Your results may vary.

upload_2017-3-18_21-59-3.png

#1 TMR-JWAP, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great data, can you post up the settings you were using on the Hitec chargers in case someone wanted to try it later?

kdfchannel and 2milgroove like this.
  3. kdfchannel

kdfchannel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    did you replace the ones you marked red ??