1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Modules Showing 8.4v - Too High

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Stainless, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

New to the forum but recently bought a 2007 NZ New (that is unusual here) gen 2 Prius with 400k on the clock. It has been through a series of taxi owners so has had quite a life, but it was cheap so worth a shot. All worked well until it threw up the triangle of death, the engine management light, the brake warning light and 'problem' on the screen. The battery then started showing erratic behaviour, like the level just randomly going up and down, so it would go up while current is being taken from it. It has little power now and screams like 1.5l of hell when going up a steep hill. I took it to a garage who cleared the codes then drove it until the triangle came back and read the codes. It is showing an error with the battery control unit and the battery itself, but they said it was one probably setting off the other.

I decided to take the battery out and read the voltage on each cell to see which ones were down in the hope a replacement or two would solve the problem. They are all showing about 8.3-8.4v except two are showing like 8.1v. All these are too high and the total voltage, found by adding the totals both sides of the isolator is like 225v, which is far too high. What could be the problem here? Is it the controller overcharging it and buggering the whole lot up? It was showing about 3 or 4 bars when I parked it up if that is any help.

I am thinking of just getting a new battery in if I can find one reasonably priced nearby. There is one going for NZ$800 in Auckland but that is like a 1500km round trip.

Please advise!

Thanks

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your best bet would be to get the codes read when it throws the triangle. You will most likely have a "Block x becomes weak" code P3011 through P3024. One (or more) of the 14 blocks has a module failing (or failed). When you continue to drive it, the engine will do some significant rpm, and will have a hard time going up even small upgrades, but it will overcharge the heck out of the battery, due to it sensing the weak block. I've been through that plenty of times. Most likely, this is whats causing your battery to overcharge. If you've already removed the battery, let it sit over night and check the voltages again. Most likely, one or more will be significantly different from the others. Most will probably be in the 7.8 range and one or two will be around 7.0 to 7.2 or lower.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hehe, I had been looking for a new NZ New Gen II and probably glanced at that one. lol. I have just bought a nice 2007 with 175,xxx km on the clock.
    Those voltages are not too high, each module could be as high as 8.44 V fully charged.
    Where in Welly are you? I have a code reader and would be happy to give you a hand to read the codes and talk over battery ideas with you. Depending on what the codes say, you maybe could consider reconditioning.

SFO and fotomoto like this.
  4. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was in Johnsonville about a month ago. It was a good deal but there was clearly plenty to go wrong with it.

From all the videos I have looked at online I haven't seen them that high, so I was a bit confused. I suppose 12v batteries usually read like 14v when they are good, doesn't explain them being so bad though.

I wasn't expecting to find someone in Wellington on here! I'm in Karori. I got a garage in Kandallah to have a look but there weren't any codes about specific modules I think. I will dig out the printouts they gave me.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, nominal voltage of a block (2 modules) is 14.4 V, but I have seen blocks reaching 19+ V under force charge.
    There are a few Kiwis on PC, mostly in Auckland. If you'd like, I'd be happy to at least chat with you about your situation, so PM by using the "Start a Conversation" link on the left under my avatar if you want to trade details. I'm over the other side by the airport.

[EDIT]

Meant to add:
    Depending on what code reader they used it may not have seen all codes, but if you can post what they gave you, it may help.

#5 dolj, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have:

P0a80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack
    P3000 - Battery Control System
    B1421 - Solar Sensor Circuit

The last one is Air-Con related and is not an issue. Also before the old error codes were cleared there was:

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) - twice, not too bothered, especially as there is no emissions test beyond visible smoke here
    B1200 - Body ECU communication stop
    B1271 - Combination Meter ECU Communication Stop

I assume these are historic and won't come back all the time.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a good menagerie of codes, but the P0A80 would be the one of interest.

Does your combination meter intermittently go out?

8. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing happening with the combination meter, I presume that is the digital instrument panel?

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A battery pack should never be "fully" charged under normal operating conditions while installed in the car. The normal control range of the battery pack, when the battery is in working condition and installed in the car is between ~65% and ~43% SOC. That range is merely based on my observations while driving and monitoring many different battery packs. There are rare circumstances that can cause high charges like extended downhill grades.

Are the control ranges different in NZ, or does this model use a different style battery? If it's the same as a US Gen 2, and his voltages are 8.3 -8.4, then the modules are at a MUCH higher state of charge than they should be, hence "being over charged". I'm not saying they are physically overcharged past their maximum 100% SOC capacity, I'm saying they are well beyond the car's normal control range. This is a pretty "typical" type occurrence based on his symptoms as I expressed in my previous post.

Hopefully, you guys can get together and get the car sorted out.

#9 TMR-JWAP, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually yes, that is correct. However, when testing HV batteries in my recent search for a new Prius, I have seen blocks go to nearly 20 V on the way to 80% SoC when I was force charging and then dropped back quite quickly to 17.5 -17 V as it arrived at 80%.

This car was a 2009 that was repossessed and at auction. Here are the graphs I did of that test:
    Prius HV Battery Analysis FAL114.png
    No, not as far as I know, should be the same – same NiMH battery. I agree with what you say should be seen in a healthy battery.

Unfortunately I do not have at my disposal any newish batteries, so all I have been able to test are relatively old batteries and so that is the data I have personally seen and I am still trying to work out what to look for in the data I have collected.

Even my own battery, which I consider to be working well, gets to the late 18 V range when I force charge. I'm not making any judgement call on whether what I have seen is good, bad or otherwise. Merely commenting on what I have seen firsthand.

But yeah, hope we can get together and sort it.

11. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you might have a battery issue here. Y not allow the battery to rest some bit, then test their nominal voltages to determine which is(are) the culprit.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dolj,

Why do you force charge your battery to the 80+% range? Wouldn't that potentially cause some problems with individual modules that may not have the capacity to absorb that much energy?

13. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt they tailor the software that much to different countries, especially as conditions would vary so much within a country anyway. The car is actually quite rare in being purchased new in NZ. Most of the Priuses or pretty much anything is JDM as there are very few restrictions on grey imports. Quite funny when you get in a taxi and the display is all in Japanese as the JDM models have no language options.

I think that considering they were not showing as a high state of charge when I parked up, it was I think around 40%. It was being quite erratic on the display at the time. At one point I saw it was taking power out the battery as I went uphill, but the number of bars went up. I have also managed to get it full in not very much time at all, it is quite easy as there are hills everywhere.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is the process outlined in the How to test HV battery state of health on your Gen 2 (answer) thread started by S Keith. I never thought about it, but I figure if it were a problem the battery control ECU would not allow it and/or throw codes.

Just found it interesting that all the cars I have tested so far have allowed the voltage to go high, one just over 20 V. Another interesting thing, I record the 3 temp sensors and although I haven't graphed it, the highest was TB1 and only reached 23.8 ºC (74.8 ºF)

Another car, on the hand, the temp went up to ~40 ºC (104 ºF) during the charges. Neither car activated the HV battery cooling fan to an audible level.

I haven't been able to draw any conclusions, just collecting data at the moment.

15. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I have given the battery a few days to deplete and not that much has happened. Most cells are now in the 7.8-8 range. The two suspect ones are now at 6.4 and 7.6v. So I suspect the lower one is pretty much useless, but would that be the only problem? I could buy two modules for about $90 each, but would probably need them to be balanced with the rest.

16. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick update. Decided that a replacement is probably the better idea considering that the error code for the battery control system is also there. I figure I could end up changing multiple modules and still have issues or get a new battery for $950 delivered and maybe somehow get some money back selling the old one. Haven't done much about this for various reasons but I think that would give me peace of mind and hopefully better performance.

17. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can guarantee that you will not get a NEW battery for $950.

Instead you will get a battery that someone else swapped random "good" modules into.... Similar to what would happen if you did it on your own. (Remember, a "good" module doesn't mean it matches the characteristics of the rest of the pack.)

You could try to get an untouched one out of the junkyard I suppose. Maybe out of a Gen 3, remove the modules and them put them into your case.

Ethan7931 likes this.
  18. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what I meant, new to me, not actually new :). It is from a scrapper that has been in an accident. Only done 106,000km and only 6 years old so should have much better performance. I don't really want to swap modules into mine as the controller might also have problems. Can you actually swap modules from a gen 3?

There is someone selling a brand new one for $4000. You would have to have a pretty decent very late gen 2 to make that worthwhile.

19. Stainless

Stainless New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another update. Fitted the new battery and so far everything is fine. Has much more capacity than the last one and the error lights have gone out. The only question now is what to do with the old battery? I guess the control unit is not that good, but all but two of the batteries seem fine. Sell them off individually?

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure, or put the whole thing on eBay.