1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery never full?! A bar or two short

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danniel99, Dec 2, 2013.

1. danniel99

danniel99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My battery indicator never shows being full always 1 or 2 bars short....does this mean that the battery is not as good as it was new? I have 47000 miles on a 2010....

2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Pretty much normal....Many conditions affect the indicated level...I would not concern myself it at this point...

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No it just means the computer plans well.

If your battery was 'full' then you could not recapture more braking energy. By making the normal state only partially full, you can normally use regen braking, conserving energy. (this annoys PIP owners who charge all the way to 'full' then drive downhill)

If you travel down a long enough hill or slow from a fast enough speed, you will fill the battery. (This is also easier in winter when you are running the engine for cabin heat,it charges the battery past normal) Here in Mississippi all those situations are rare.

If the battery does 'fill up', the computer will aggressively try to burn off electric power to get back to normal.

('Full' on the screen is not actually full, as Toyota is trying to make the battery last as long as possible)

4. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since Aug 2011 I have seen the battery go all the way to the top, recently, only one time.

I didn't believe it, when I saw it.
    It's funny, I almost thought there could be something wrong.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery charge meter isn't showing you the truth in any case. The Prius is designed to operate in a range. The Battery never fully discharged, never fully charged.

So even if you get a full display, it really isn't full. My Prius is less than a year old, brand new 2013 and very rarely has the battery meter shown all bars. I can get it to show all bars, but only for a short period after I go down a big incline or hill.

I would say most of the time it reads like yours, that is 1 or 2 bars short. I consider this the norm.

I would also speculate that if you HV battery was failing, the symptom would be suddenly disappearing charge, not failure to show a full charge.

My guess is you are fine. If I'm wrong? More symptoms will manifest in time.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if your battery used to go to full often enough for you to notice, and it doesn't anymore under the same conditions, i would say you're heading for trouble.

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Go down a very long hill with the brakes on. My battery indicator shows full under such conditions. Flatlanders will probably never see a full battery indicator.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Per JimboPalmer, see if it will max out, light all the bars, on a LONG downhill run. Head up a local mountain?

Ours normally peaks with one or two bars unlit, only a sustained downhill drive will light them all.

9. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The car's computer is designed to always keep the battery at 40 to 80%. This extends the life of the battery.

10. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is an illustration of the above :) It is all OK with your car.
    soc.JPG