1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery never fully charged

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vanne, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have prius 2004 , i never get the fully battery charged , I saw on the the internet they drive in Fully electric mode not using the engine gas in 100MPG how they do that? and how can i do with my car?
    thanks for any promptly advice

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First off, it would be a BIG problem if the HV battery got to 100% SoC. Normally, if you have all the bars filled, you're at 80% SoC, but could be a few % over it. See Prius Palm Mileage Simulator. The graph does NOT represent 0 to 100% but rather only 40 to 80%. Prius tries to keep the battery around 60% or so.

One can get the SoC value in % with something like ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge and adding an XGauge (I have one and have added it). There are other OBD 2 devices that can do it. You don't have to have a SG II.

The only times you'll see it hit 80% (full) is if you're going down a long hill. I used to hit that frequently where I lived in WA.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224 was used for Hybrid drivers complete run for mileage mark.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Avoiding full is for battery longevity. That's why the display typically hovers around 6 bars and the entire capacity isn't actually displayed. Assumptions about charge-level and EV driving are common... and growing, due to the number of older Prius becoming used purchases.

You'll enjoy 100 MPG from time to time, but the point is to significantly improve emissions & efficiency... not electric only. In fact, that's true of even the plug-in model.

The engine will run when it makes sense. The system seeks out opportunities for optimal conditions and takes advantage of them. New owners sometimes unknowingly fight the system, cancelling out the benefit. For example, as the system runs to warm the coolant, it is also recharging the battery-pack... a benefit very easy to overlook.

Keep your eyes & ears attentive. You'll be impressed how well thought out the approach really is.

okcwxguy and R-P like this.