1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery not holding the charge .

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zed 143, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Zed 143

Zed 143 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone
    I'm new to this page n new to new to this technology. I bought 2008 t spirit prius . The battery drains in coupe of miles. I don't know what to check . Please of anymore can help me tht would be really appreciated. Thanks

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Does it drive properly? Any lights come on? What happens?

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from the Prius v forum to the Gen II forums as the OP owns a Gen II.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is this the original battery and how many miles on it?

I have to drive up a hill when I start in the morning and my healthy battery is often drained in just few minutes, less than a mile, and this is normal. On my way home, I gain charge, of course. There are many variables to consider, including road grade, wind, engine temp, air temp (is the AC/heat on?), other electrical loads, vehicle speed, the way you drive, the phase of the moon and how you part your hair.

The Prius does not have a very large battery--it only weighs about 80 pounds including case, ECU, venting, etc. It's not a Tesla. And if it's the original battery, it may not be holding a charge like it did when it was new--this is also normal. If you want to continue to drive a used Prius, it would be smart to budget for replacement/repair. Many of us have done that. Lots of threads on it!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! don't use the ev button, thats just for moving the car around your driveway etc. drive it normally and let us know what you're getting for mpg's. all the best!(y)

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Zed.
    The Prius from a cold start uses mostly battery power for propulsion until the engine warms up dropping the battery indicator to 2 or 1 purple bars in the first couple of miles. The battery then recharges to 5 blue bars or maybe 6 green on the display. This is normal as it does this to reduce emissions while the engine is cold. Once the engine is warm the battery should remain at the high blue to green levels.
    I also run a 2008 Tspirit in the UK now at 118000 miles. The HV battery has an easy life in the UK temperatures, but you are getting towards the end of the life of the 12 volt battery if it has not been changed.
    What mpg are you getting, and what sort of runs do you do? "distance and speeds". At this time of year you should expect around 60 mpg using only regular fuel with tyre pressures set at 40 psi front 38 psi rear or even a couple of pounds higher if you do not mind the harder ride.
    The choice of tyres fitted to the car are possibly the single biggest factor in the mpg stakes.

John.

#6 Britprius, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015