1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery not working after fix. My 2005 Prius is still having battery issues

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Lisa van de Velde, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Lisa van de Velde

Lisa van de Velde New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 battery is still having problems after we replaced the battery cells that were low. We changed the cell and replaced the 12 volt. It was fine until I ran into a pothole and the battery immediately dropped and the indicator board lit up. Two days later the lights were gone and it worked fine. This was about two weeks ago. Last night it started acting up again. The battery dropped from high to low quickly, and back up again. The indicator lights haven't come on yet, but I know that is how this generally goes. The car has 190,000 miles on it. Is it time to let Prius retire? I hope not because I am still making payments
    Please advise.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was everything properly torqued down after repairs? potholes seem like the smoking gun

are you related to peter van de velde? he was a fabulous merc mechanic

Skibob likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Battery reconditioning is an essential process of rebuilding a battery pack... Replacing a bad cell when it's obvious via voltage readings is a good first step, but a more thorough job to identify other bad cells before they go bad is essential. Though if your problem is related to hitting a pothole that would mean there's a loose connection somewhere. Let us know how we can help by including more details about the work you did as well as the work you'd be willing to do more of?

Skibob likes this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Listen to this man. He has done this before with success.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

If it really immediately died after hitting a giant pothole, that says something isn't connected properly or fully to me. And a loose HV battery connection can be dangerous as there is a lot of current flowing through those bars. A loose connection is a hot connection.

Skibob and PriusCamper like this.