1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery overheated whilst parked in basement

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by namuramc, Feb 25, 2023.

1. namuramc

namuramc New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I just had a weird event on my ride. I drove to a mall for a movie and parked in the underground parking. It wasn't too hot..maybe around 28 degrees C outdoor and parking lot was around 32 degrees C. SOC of the battery was 6 out of 8 bars when I turned it.

After 4 hours came back for the car and as I moved out of the car park...the ICE turned on and remained on for the longest time. I lost regen braking and when at a stop the engine remained on. The battery fan was super loud and my guess is that the battery was really hot.

Question is has anyone encountered this situation before? I wasn't driving the car too hard heading to the mall and was just a short 15 minute drive.

It sounds to me something must have caused the battery temp to spike up. The only thing I recalled doing before the ICE turned on was tapping a bit harder on the accelerator while in the car park..for a brief second.

Would love to get some advice from anyone who's seen this before.

Thanks everyone :D

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many km on her?

is the battery intake filter grille clean?

3. namuramc

namuramc New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She's only done 22K KM and the battery intake filter is clean. The battery temperature was around 45 degrees C when I finally got a chance to plug in my OBD2 dongle. The engine turned on when there was still 6 out of 8 bars in the battery display and was on a flat road in the car park.

Today it's back to normal and no fault codes found. Took it for a long drive and the issue does not re-occur.

bisco likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was this the state of charge when you turned it off, prior to the movie? If so, did you notice any change when you came back?

I’ve noticed on hot days after a lot of driving, engine will sometimes keep running when stopped, even with battery state of charge display looking good. This is on a 3rd gen though.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like an early hv battery failure on a 2022. Should be warranty.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  6. namuramc

namuramc New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The battery was with 6 out of 8 bars when I left the car for the movie and when I got back.

The car park was shaded underground. Guessing no more than 32 degrees C

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try Dr Prius (Carista Bluetooth OBD adapter works well with it) to get some idea of hybrid battery condition.

again, I’ve seen similar behaviour on hot days, after a lot of driving.

Parking it hot in a hot enclosure can’t be good though. About a year back we replaced our solid wood garage doors with with steel sheathed insulated doors, at least in part for this reason: it would get very hot in the garage on summer afternoons, and bringing in a hot car didn’t help.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    32c shouldn’t cause any problems, maybe just an anomaly

9. namuramc

namuramc New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One other thing was when I touched the area under the rear seats where the battery is,it was really warm . Warmer than normal. So guessing the battery was indeed quite hot.

Normally can barely feel a thing in that area.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  10. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, I live in California and our summers for the past 6 years have been brutal. 110-115 Fahrenheit (43-46 Celsius) in full sun. Never had a single problem with the battery system. I think what helped me is my Prius is white, my windows are tinted, I leave the windows down an inch to ventilate and I use a sun visor to protect the dash.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I keep wondering, how many of us actually read the Owner’s Manual?

12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    How about the Owner’s Manual, Quick Reference Guide, Information Guide, Navigation System Owner’s Manual, Entune System Quick Reference Guide, Warranty and Maintenance Guide, New Car Features, Repair Manual, Collision Repair Manual, Electrical Wiring Diagram, Emergency Response Guide, Hybrid Vehicle Dismantling Manual, Toyota Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual, and Electronic Parts Catalog, plus all the bulletins and miscellaneous documents, and most of those again for the European and Japanese models?

Doug McC likes this.