1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Pack Replacement Options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dkichline, Aug 28, 2018.

1. dkichline

dkichline New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius with over 160,000 miles on it. I got the triangle coming up and the engine codes are C1259, C1310, and P0A80.

So I am looking to replace the battery pack, but I am not sure what the best avenue for this is. I could go to the dealer, but if they charge a similar price like they do for their air filters, it is not worth it.

I saw this Green Bean battery online, where they will come to you and replace the battery. They have been around for awhile, but I have not seen any definitive reviews outside of their site. I saw a few threads they were talking in, but no follow up on their product.

I am in the Reading, PA area. Are there any options that people are aware of for local shops that do this type of work?

Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First step is to make sure you have a healthy 12volt battery and that your Hybrid Battery cooling fan is not clogged... If the red triangle just came on and you took that warning seriously and haven't driven it much since then, it may be fixable on the cheap side of things via first steps I mentioned, or by reconditioning battery pack, maybe even replacing a module or two, which becomes problematic if the battery pack is too far gone.

The good news is that Toyota dealership decided to compete with after-market Hybrid batter sellers / refurbishers and you can get a new stack of battery modules for as low as $1950 if you install yourself and + 5 hours labor if they install. If you go this route you won't have to think of your battery again for 5+ years or longer... That's not the case with module replacement or aftermarket sellers / refurbishers.

Bay Stater and kenoarto like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

the key question here is; how long do you plan on keeping your car?

only a new battery will give you virtually guaranteed longevity.

otoh, if you sell it, a new battery will also increase the value over rebuilt.

4. thehybridguy

thehybridguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have also not seen much of them outside their company. Something to think about identity what will they do when the battery fails. All batteries fail its a matter of when, not if. If it takes them 5 weeks to replace a warranty is it worth it?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I got a used 2016 battery, much cheaper than new.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who made the battery? The challenge with Prius is 12 volt battery doesn't start the engine, the high voltage hybrid battery handles that, which is why loads of con-artists, especially Optima, sell reject 12 volt batteries to Prius owners and they have no idea how bad their battery really is. Best bet for Prius 12volt is the most common and fastest selling 12volt wheelchair & backup computer power supply battery they sell at Batteries plus and other places for $130. Not only is it $100 cheaper than lower quality battery sold at auto parts store for Prius, but it's a much stronger longer lasting battery so if you leave headlights on or interior lights on for too long, it doesn't matter as much.

7. bdonley

bdonley New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any wiring mods or spacers to be made so it'll fit? Got a part Number? Thanks, Bill D

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A junkyard battery from a Gen 4 (2016 & newer) Trim One or Two ONLY (not Two ECO) is a NiMH battery whose modules will work in a Gen 2 or Gen 4 Prius. The other Trim levels (invluding the Prime) use a completely different battery type.

@2k1Toaster has another good option if you are DIY. He sells a kit of new cells for $1600 delivered that basically gives you a new pack. You are free to sell any of your old modules that have not yet failed. The link to his site is in my signature.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hydrogen sulfide inhalation killed mother, toddler found on Florida's Turnpike in June - Orlando Sentinel

When an OEM Toyota 12v battery will typically last 6 or 7 years, you have to ask if it's worth it to not install the correct vented style battery. If this happened to someone you care about, how would you feel about saving that 100 bucks.....is the risk very minute? sure, but the price is immeasurable...............

I'm a major DIYer and I'm all for unique solutions to problems, but I have my limits.

#9 TMR-JWAP, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So you're not going to bother? :confused:

I would, and contact every dealership within driving distance. Let them know you're asking them all. A new hybrid battery through dealership is the best for longevity/reliability I think.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #12 Prodigyplace, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    hill and PriusCamper like this.
  13. Gergo

Gergo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello guys. Few weeks ago i got a fault message on my Prius P0A80. First time the program showed me Block 7,8 was faulty so i replaced them. Then i start use the car again and several hours later i got the same message but this time the diagnostic showed me Block 10 got some problem so i replaced it as well. Today i got another P0A80 but now Block 4 got i'm gonna blow my mind. Anybody have some solution?

Attached Files:

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sometimes you have to hold people's hand and even provide a link but yea ...

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If that doesn't work, you have to hand feed it to them.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    upload_2018-9-1_12-59-49.jpeg

Grit and ITBland like this.
  17. Exiled conservative

Exiled conservative Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    What was the price and for a Gen 3?

18. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s was $1300 installed. Includes taxes. Had abou 22k miles on it.

19. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the wonderful world of "whack-a-mole".
    You may want to start your own thread.
    Sounds like your battery is failing and this is going to be your life for now. Keep doing it as long as it is fun for you. Else you may want to get a new or warrantied battery.
    Any chance you accidently left the bad modules in and simply moved them around?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's lots of things you can do to avoid the worst aspects of "whack-a-mole." The data you get from discharging and recharging modules is key... Some cells within a module will show more heat or not enough heat, some modules will drop a cell during discharge and if you don't look closely enough you won't realize it's a bad cell, but just a weak module. Conversely, some modules may seem bad but after a 3 or 4 rounds of discharge and recharge it can end up being the healthiest one of the bunch.

Some key pieces of equipment you need are high quality bluetooth OBD2 reader that can read data real fast, as well as grab subcodes. Veepeak is the one I use after an insane amount of online purchases turned into returns/refund. Also the Dr. Prius app, the Hybrid Assistant app, the Hybrid Reporter app. Also 12v 50w and 100w bulbs for load testing and discharging modules, kitchen timers and lots of multi-testers/volt meters to observe the charges and discharges in real time. A laser temp reader or a thermal imaging camera can help find overly hot or cold cells. As for chargers you need some quality RC smart chargers for individual modules, like SkyRC B6AC V2, as well as a charger & discharger to do the whole battery pack at once like the one hybridautomotive.com sells.

I learned this Summer the hard way that this kind of work is for people who like to be overly-thorough and do everything possible to ensure that they don't have to pull the battery pack out again. Another crucial skill is how fast you can pull out and put back in a battery pack. Once you get good at it, you'll be able to have the battery out and on the work bench and all the bus bars off and ready for testing in 20 mins, with maybe a little more than double or triple that time to put everything back together.

Do all this and "whack-a-mole" isn't so bad anymore...

Cyvan likes this.