1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery (post-screw) loose under fuse box. How to fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jackie V, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just found the Battery (post-screw) loose under fuse box. I noticed it while jumping w/a BoosterPac ES5000. My rear 12v is fully charged and I turned the headlights on and no lights, I then wiggled the Booster/charger and saw lights and heard door buzzer. My wife was in the car and saw all lights on dash and she started it up. The post nut is drawn tight. How do you fix this jewel ?? a wedge maybe?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That post is part of the main fusible link. I have a few of them on the shelf that I can get a good look at once I get home. Initial gut feeling is that something broke and you may need to install a new fusible link. I can provide better info after inspection, but wedging it in a position where it's making good contact and it can't move may at least provide you some temporary reliability.

Without actually dissecting one, I believe that stud should have a head at the bottom inside the plastic, fixed in position to allow tightening the nut. If you look at the stud, it should have two busbars that lay on top of it and the 12v battery cable terminal. Once the nut is tightened, it clamps the 12v cable terminal tightly to the busbars. One busbar provides power to the passenger side of the fusible link assembly and the other busbar provides power to the driverside. If the nut is loose, obviously the connection is going to be poor.

If you try to tighten the nut, does the entire stud turn?
    Is the nut cross threaded, preventing it from being fully tightened?
    Can you remove the nut to inspect the threads?
    If the threads on the stud are damaged, it will limit how far down the nut can travel.
    If this is the case, and I find it to be very likely, you can work around it by putting some flat washers with the correct inner diameter over the stud to take up gap and then install the nut (or a new nut if needed).

#2 TMR-JWAP, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Jackie V likes this.
  3. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V

Can these busbars be bent for better contact?

"An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind." ' Mahatma Gandhi

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your best bet is to answer the questions and follow the directions above. Otherwise its a new fusible link, which is a bit of a job since its wired and cabled in. Not just plugin. Prius Gen2 Fusible Link w Tabs and Cable ID.JPG

Jackie V likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a close-up photo. The top one is the driverside bar, the bottom one is the passenger side bar. The stud has a beefy square base that is set into the housing. There is nothing visible from underneath, so exactly how its attached to the plastic housing isn't visible, but it is definitely strong. The stud has no play at all, so if yours is loose, something is broken. The important part is you have to get the 12v cable firmly clamped to the 2 fusible link bars. No ifs, ands or buts, because 100% of the power provided by the 12v battery passes through that connection.

Jump Stud.JPG

Jackie V likes this.
  6. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V

TYVM, Very Appreciated.

"An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind." ' Mahatma Gandhi

7. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V

TYVM, That's the bugger.

8. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since these bars run down both sides is there usually a broken area on one or both/like happens with a fuse?

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are several areas within the fusible link that blow just like a fuse. For most its obvious. This one takes a discriminating eye so I added hints.

BD20CFE6-5822-4E0B-BF28-EF2E46981A29.jpeg

#9 rjparker, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Jackie V likes this.
  10. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V

Grates Tibi

" I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am. " ' Descartes