1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Power for Lawn equipment -- is it time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You could use an electric cement mixer for that.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Renting an electric mixer will be more work. I initially used a large concrete mixing tub, but soon realized it's easier to use 8cf wheelbarrow. My recipe is 3 part peat moss, 3 part finished compost, 1 part worm casting, 1 part perlite, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part humus. When dry, they are light, unlike real soil.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would NEVER give a chainsaw to someone to use. Even if they claim to be experienced using saws.

Liability aside, a chainsaw is one of the most dangerous power tools on the planet. Without proper training...well...my father trained all of us (he believed "girls" should learn to fend for themselves) and I received further training with USFS< USFWS< as well as what the Bureau of Land Management considered training, but I did not.
    kris

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That was last week's project. I built two high boxes up close to the house, with built in seating for easy weeding.

It's only 32sf of space, but we loaded it up with 'maters, onions, cucumber vines and some beans.

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 5.35.57 PM.png

5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Super nice setup. The way you built it looks like it will give you years of service!

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

Link to the plans I used

The instructions were good to go, I have no notes to add.

Between those and re-roofing my chicken coop I kind of broke myself over the past 2 weeks. Feels good though, more honest than my j-o-b anyway.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Tree laws vary by state. You appear to be right about Texas.

For others, google "state name tree law" You may find that if you have sent a letter to your neighbor telling him you consider a tree dangerous (and why) if the tree falls on your property he is responsible. If you didn't send the letter, then you each are responsible for the portion on your property. That is NC law.

And then their are good neighbors...

IANAL

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, it's similar here. And there is some recourse if you can prove that the neighbor did nothing to maintain the tree before it caused a problem.

I had one of mine fall on the neigbor's yard, and we worked together to clear it. He ran his saw on his land, I volunteered to take the chunks and burn them on mine. It all worked out.

I was just informed that a different neighbor is looking to drop 2 trees this weekend, and I let him know he could probably fell them towards a disused portion of my garden if he needed to. We will see how that goes.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh its really cool. Works great. They have the remote controls in a box you walk behind it with the box because its such a lumbering track vehicle it would snap your spine if you rode in it lol. But it gets up there I was 45-50 feet in the air all day
    They gave me a deal 3 days for $400 Holiday weekend.

When i came back to the house after Irma the oak debris was 2 feet deep in my back yard. Huge limbs were snapped off. The old lady who stayed and lives next door says all she heard all night was BOOM....BOOOM lol. Poor thing.

I had to go to work. Came home out of power for about 9 days. Irma's a bitch.

And here we are again.....

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Foto my G2 is a Drifty pearl too!

I love my Kobalt 80 chainsaw. I look forward to using it unlike dreading my numerous Stihl's I used to have.

I was using some Husquavarna chain oil I had but not seeing much oil on the chain so I switched over to Stihl chain oil seems to lubricate the 80 much better. I recommend the Stihl bar oil for the 80. I see more lube on the chain.

They offer an improved chain for the 80 on Amazon. It is wicked sharp and has lasted pretty well. It tears through a 12 inch limb like butta now. Motor never even slows down now.

This bad boy:

#370 edthefox5, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    fotomoto and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Any above 8 inches in diameter, I will use a chain saw.

But for anything 8 inches and below, I use these pruning blades with my reciprocating saw, either battery powered or corded.

They work amazingly good. I took down a 30 ft. Bradford pear tree with it. Started half way up, cut each individual branch and let the cut fold over. Basically, I pealed it like an orange.

George W likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to do that now I just break out the 80 slap a battery in it and go to town.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Say, that rings a bell....

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Nice! Are they self watering? The self watering aspect is the thing I like the most about the Earthbox. They have a fill tube that loads a water reservoir on the bottom of each unit.

Here are a couple pics of my setup. Note that I added a very simple bucket drip system to replenish the reservoirs...handy for vacations and such. (y)

Capture_1.JPG Capture.JPG

Edit: And once you fill them with soil medium, you continue to use the same soil year after year...works great!

John321 likes this.
  15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice set up. The self watering is a thoughtful touch. That would be a great addition to many rainwater collection systems I see see throughout our community.

farmecologist likes this.
  16. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! BTW - the official EarthBox watering system is an atmospheric pressure ( i.e. - siphon ) system...but a simple drip system like this was sufficient for my needs. It can be a pain getting the drip rate correct so the built in reservoir on the bottom of each EarthBox doesn't overflow...but it's not that big of a deal.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Only in the sense that everything left outdoors in this part of Pennsylvania is self-watering from April-September. You can almost set your watch by the afternoon thunderstorm. I don't even own a garden sprinkler because I've only needed to irrigate my garden maybe 4 times in 4 years. I can stand there with the hose for that.

Now, today's thunderstorm was an exception. It showed up 4 hours early, took out our electricity & internet, ripped my phone wires off the pole, flooded the creek, dropped limbs all over my yard and more.

The cable internet eventually came back but I'm still operating on standby generator and the utility website says it is likely to stay that way until dinnertime tomorrow.

#377 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ...and we are back on grid power, ~26 hours after the storm.

I ran my generator for about 12 hours total, using just over 5 us gallons of fuel in that time. No oil burnt and just a few drops leaked beneath it.

Not too bad for a 17 year old hand me down machine.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh bringing back bad no power memorys leadfoot..lol....pretty sure we are going to get killed down here this season.

20. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I hear ya...However, it does get dry here in MN sometimes..believe it or not. (y) The EarthBox self watering reservior ( and my macgyvered bucket drip system add on ) is great for tomatoes..which suck up the water like heck. Also good for when you are gone for a couple weeks on vacation, etc....