1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Power for Lawn equipment -- is it time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 24, 2018.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is a battery thread, but Mendel has broken the chain -- so to speak -- so...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How about an electric chainsaw that sharpens itself. I have been using this one recently. Of course the cord restricts the usefulness.
    Oregon CS1500 18-inch 15 Amp , Self-Sharpening Corded Electric Chainsaw | Oregon Products

The company used to sell a battery version of this saw -- and that is what I wanted -- but they discontinued it. Don't know why, but have my suspicions. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CS300 Cordless Chainsaw | Oregon Products
    Kris

#501 cyberpriusII, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't remember who the vendor was, but besides the 40V battery lawn mower that we're happy with - mentioned above, we also got a 40 V pole saw which is just about ready for it's springtime use before the neighbor's tree & it's stinking leaves start smothering out our lawn again.
    Chop chop!

Edit;
    It's an off-market brand, 40v 4-Ah.
    Oh! Just unpacked some of the last boxes from our move up to Montana. Found the charger for the Ryobi string 40V string trimmer. Won't need that for probably another 2 months. At least now all the parts are located.

#502 hill, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, did they really discontinue the cordless version?

I talked about it in this thread back in Battery Power for Lawn equipment -- is it time? | Page 22 | PriusChat and Battery Power for Lawn equipment -- is it time? | Page 11 | PriusChat.

I have both corded and cordless versions. The corded version is wonderful. It is powerful enough to cut small logs into the size I needed to use for the stove. The cordless version not so much. It was so much underpowering that only useful for pruning chores. As for the self-sharpening feature, which was the reason I bought it in the first place, turned out to be not so useful. It works, but only works for very small numbers, maybe 2-3 times. After that grinding stone is too far back to be useful for sharpening the chain further. And the chisel type special chain used for this feature is not easy to sharpen with a regular file or chain sharpener.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Greenworks pro, an 80 V battery unit exists but I don't know about 'self sharpening.'

Bob Wilson

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reply to salamander king...it may have been your postings that actually gave me the idea about the Oregon cordless. Indeed, probably. Life has been "interesting" and despite my best efforts, memory sometimes takes a backseat.
    not used the corded model that much. Have not had to sharpen yet. But sharpening chain, while it can be a Zen experience, mostly I find it tedious.
    Kris

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems they discontinued the entire line of 40V yard tools. Maybe too stiff competitions. That's too bad. We also have a string trimmer using the battery that we really like. The chainsaw, on the other hand, is more for small jobs. For any serious cutting, I went back to the Husqy, I sent a message to Oregon Tool customer service to see if they will be providing support for the discontinued cordless tools. I may have to look for spare batteries before it gets too hard to acquire.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you have a Dremal, just get the little chain sharpening attachment. Sticking to the topic, pretty sure those are available cordless now.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, apparently Oregon Tools discontinues all of its 40V cordless tool line-ups. I don't know the reason, but it seems they are no longer manufactured. You can still buy them at various stores where the inventory is available.

I found this article about their 120V cordless professional tools line-ups discontinued. They mush have decided to pull out of the cordless tools altogether.
    Oregon 120V Professional Tools Discontinued and No Longer Sold - PTR

upload_2022-3-26_9-49-21.png

#508 Salamander_King, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    cyberpriusII likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always click “Report” and explain what you want me to do with the post (or thread). Members have used the Report feature for duplicate posts or accidental posts/threads in the wrong forum.

bwilson4web and Salamander_King like this.
  10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to the "King" for posting about Oregon cordless tools. I have an old gas Stihl saw. It's a great saw, but has no compression release valve.

I have to get it set just right under my foot and hold on tight to pull the starter rope with all my strength. If it decides to start, it pulls nicely; if not, it will pull the cord handle out of my hand and yeah, it hurts. A lot. I try to be respectful of it and say nice things to it when I need to use it.

Merkey likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Started mowing front yard with scattered pine cones this afternoon. The 21" mower is also a pine cone and twig disposal unit. Nothing but small, insignificant parts remain after the mower passes over them.

Bob Wilson

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I meant cordless Dremals.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I see. I had a small cordless Dremel that came with a regular corded Dremel I bought over 10 years ago. But I am sure it was a NiCd rechargeable battery back then. It was so weak, I never used it before the battery totally died. And it was not replaceable.

14. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... manual push movers Wally and Beaver Cleaver used, back in the early 60s, are more efficient than electric lawn mowers.

Efficient market hypothesis, electric lawnmowers violates our most basic of macroeconomic assumptions. Were electric lawnmowers truly efficient, long since we'd already be doing it.

Electric edger, electric blower, electric weed whacker, I have electric yard equipment, where efficient; where feasible. No way is an electric lawnmower ever going to cut even the most modest of 2" inch thick lawns.

Absolutely not, on a commercial basis - Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine does, week in and week out, and it's 2020 tech. The first time I used it, the lawn was much more than 2", and not at all modest (I had been procrastinating about buying it, but the lawn wasn't procrastinating about growing). It didn't break a sweat, and simply does what it says on the box.

New models this year are probably two years of advancement better than mine.

It comes with quite a sharp blade, which I will guess is part of the secret. Its effectiveness might fall off quite a bit if that's not kept with a good edge.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have a reel mower. Since it relies on momentum to get the blades spinning fast enough to effectively cut, my tiny yard might be too small for it. It does well once cutting along a straight. Spots where you need to do more maneuvering, can need to poorer results. What really kept me from embracing it, is the fact that you need to mow often. A growth spurt between weekends means a ragged cut as taller grass blades get pushed down, and miss getting into the blades' scissor point.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Electric mowers have become much, much better over the last decade. My electric mower is far more efficient than a reel mower (we had one) or any gas mower.

I’ve mowed wet grass, denser areas of grass and tall grass without issue.
    The initial cost is higher, but the capabilities are very good.

As for commercial use, at least two of the brands sell gear specifically for commercial use.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My reel mower, when freshly adjusted, doesn't need a lot of speed to cut; it will snip things like scissors, even moving slowly. (The test of proper adjustment is to do that with strips of newsprint.) It's lightweight and kind of fun to use when everything goes well.

But the big annoyance was the way it stops cutting once the grass is above a certain height. I used to be continually borrowing a friend's gasser every time the lawn got ahead of me, to get it back down where my reel mower would cut it.

The Ego mower has completely eliminated that hassle.

Trollbait likes this.
  19. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... the cord's a pain in the [ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! TOS VIOLATION! OFFICIAL CHOP ZONE CENSORSHIP], my electric hedge trimmer's pretty much getting the job done for me, on light drought resistant shrubs and hedgerows. But, for the neighbor's thick, robust evergreens, it really heats up, and there's only so deep I can go. Professionals coming with their two-stroke hedge trimmers, ZIP-ZIP-ZIP, get the job done 1/10th the time - Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Agreed - side note /one of the features on our 40V Ryobi that I don't get is something they call Crosscut .....
    IMG_20220328_075731__01.jpg
    From what little (floor model markdown over $200) literature that came with it - that's what, supposed to mean grass blades are made more teeny? For mulch? composting?
    Baaah - as long as it works great.

bwilson4web and Georgina Rudkus like this.