1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Power for Lawn equipment -- is it time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 24, 2018.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have an Ego mower & two batteries. The batteries & the charger stay in the house year round.

iplug likes this.
  2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't think John Deere is selling these yet, but battery electric riding lawn mowers are out there:

Ryobi R48110 Electric Riding Lawn Mower Review - Consumer Reports

You’ll notice the price, too. At $2,500, the Ryobi costs as much as some of the higher-end riding tractors in our lawn tractor ratings, and is $1,000 to $1,500 more than most rear-engine riders of a similar size. But before you write off the mower as a high-priced electric novelty, you should know that in Consumer Reports' tests, it performed on par with some impressive gas models.

The Ryobi will give you about 2 hours of cutting time, enough to cover up to 2 acres.

Guessing at least a couple years for price parity. But nice to see there are now options out there to do most routine yard work all battery electric.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am tempted by the battery stuff, but my local Stihl guy shook his head and waved his index finger in a negative manner when I asked last month how the battery powered Stihl stuff was in terms of performance and quality.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple answer, buy good battery powered stuff from someone else ;P

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kind of like how all the Toyota dealerships back in the day steered Prius owners away and into something else. Or today all the Nissan dealerships steering Leaf people away into something else. When I bought my Leaf the salesguy had never even been in one, yet had so many negative things to say about it trying to steer me towards a different hatch. Same deal at the Porsche dealership, want a Panamera plug-in, but sales-people say no. You really want this other all gasser car over here. Ignore the fools, buy what you want.

The Toyota and Lexus dealerships have become much better with hybrid customers, but that's not saying much.

pilotgrrl and cyberpriusII like this.
  6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sort of agree with your thought about how all the car dealers were doing the same thing a few years ago.

I mean at the saw shops, these are good old boys who can tear down a two-cycle saw or a four-cycle mower and rebuild a carb with the best of them.

But, carbs are little dinosaurs.....I suspect if Stihl is putting out battery equipment, it is probably as good as the rest, but maybe not.
    kris

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have been pretty pleased with some of the Greenworks stuff.
    You need to know the limits of battery operated devices though. I would not use the push mower to mow my large lawn, but it works OK for the smaller yard that has a gate too small for my rider. Likewise I would not try to fell a tree with the light 12 inch chain saw.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i looked at it in the spring, nice looking unit. but they always overhype run time, power and cur area.
    i noticed they no longer had it a few months later, but my biggest issue is that it is not returnable if you are not satisfied.

iplug and RCO like this.
  9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A friend of mine just got one.
    Can you recommend a good online forum ??
    Preferably one where you can READ all of the posts without actually joining.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My property is small enough where all my tools, except for the snow blower and power washer, are corded and they are years old.

11. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    +1 but now even my snow blower is corded. Can't imagine doing it any other way.

Nexus 7 ?

12. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would love corded, but again, I am enough of a klutz on the roof already (two-story roof). I won't recount the various falls and close falls I have had from roofs, but I do not need the hassle of a cord to trip over and send me plunging to the ground.

Considering the price of the battery-power blowers, I think I will just get a cheapo Homelite or Poulan gas power for $70 and call it good. It won't be used more than 30 minutes a year.

I AM happy with the backpack Stihl, so far, sort of... the BR 430
    [​IMG]
    My main complaint is that it is tough to hoist onto my back without hopelessly twisting the backpack straps. So, I have mostly been using it just slung over one shoulder -- saw a lawn guy doing the exact same thing the other day with the exact same blower.

Also, you have to be very careful starting it, because anything nearby, including gravel on the ground, is going to go flying. Have to assure the nozzle is pointed the right direction, which can be a bit strange as the blower tube is constructed to point down -- not up like you need it when you are starting the darn thing.

It also has a "new flangled" choke of some sort that I have never encountered before and I go back to the days that cars all had manual chokes. It's a strange knob that only has one "click" setting. Seems to work though.

#52 Stevewoods, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hired someone to clean my roof and gutter last fall, after falling off a ladder. best 200 bucks i ever spent.
    talk about a wake up call.

iplug and Stevewoods like this.
  14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EKK

$200.

I have to go up at least five times a year to clean the gutters. Lots of big maple, oak and fir trees near my house.

The gutters clog up. One cleaning in late August, just before Washington's 10-month rain season begins.

Another in Mid-October after leaves have started to fall. Mid-November, Mid/late December.

Finally, a final cleaning in May or so, just before fire season begins.

That's $1,000. I could buy a nice battery blower for $1,000

bisco likes this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If I had a an extra $200 for every orthopedic patient over 60 I co-managed who fell from a ladder, well...

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, been going up and down ladders most of my life. and then one day...

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or cut some trees down.
    i don't blame you though, i was the same way, until 'it' happened.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe getting gutter guards installed would be a better long term investment than a cheapo blower.

Zythryn likes this.
  19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Shortly after I first got this Ego blower (the one that blows live grass out of my lawn), I saw them run an ad showing a happy homeowner blowing out the gutter gook. So I thought "hey, that looks promising!" and I tried it that fall.

I think it took just about the same amount of time I had ever spent before, scooping the gook out with my hand and tossing it in a bucket.

The main difference was, it did leave me splattered head to foot all over with gook.

-Chap

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.