1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Power for Lawn equipment -- is it time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Okay the Greenworks #2100202 40v string trimmer is a hit.

From the first use I could see that this was a better machine than my DeWalt.

The DeWalt DCST990X1 I've been using for 6.5 years had a little more "hitting power" for faster removal of that $%# plant, but the line handling characteristics of the Greenworks are miles ahead. It feeds so much better and reloads dramatically faster, so the result is a lot more time on task.

I can tell that the DeWalt was designed by guys who hire gardeners. The Greenworks was designed by somebody who faithfully copied the design of someone who maintains their own lawn, and it shows.

And I can get other tools to put on this powerhead: says it is compatible with accessories from Ryobi, Trimmer Plus, and Yardworks.

Since I already have 3 Greenworks chargers and 5 battery packs, I can run this thing all day. Too bad I need to... :ROFLMAO:

Zythryn likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    String trimmers are just a pia. I hate re-stringing them.

Tomorrow going to take my third swing at cutting back some branch's on a dead monster laurel oak in my backyard. Irma beat it up bad and Ian finally killed it.

Renting another 50 foot Nifty lift. All the bigger branches have a large amount of small dead branch's Only chain saw I don't have is a mini for brush work. Since I am so invested in Dewalt battery's at this point I recently bought there new Dewalt 8 inch 20 volt saw.

All my other saw's are Kobalt including all my garden tools.
    I'm really impressed with Kobalt my 80 volt propelled lawnmower the 6 amp battery that came with it still works perfectly 5 years later.
    That mower is a beast. It chops through anything like bush hog. Only gripe is it does not bag as well as my old gas Husky for some reason.That Husky picked up every bit.

This Dewalt 8 inch saw is pretty cool. Its so light you really need to use 2 hands if you try to cut with an extended one hand it tends to bounce around on the branch before starting to cut .
    So In that case it helps to not have the chain moving on the branch when you first start to cut in.

It did not seem to have the optimum sharpness so I sharpened it and now it cuts through wood like butter.

$169 saw only.

Will come in very handy in the bucket 60 feet up.

#742 edthefox5, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you already have a reciprocating saw, there are blades available for pruning. Branches up to 4in shouldn't a be a problem, and a more powerful saw could go up to 6in.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This Dewalt saw has way way better attack than a RS pruning blade. Much much faster it just tears through wood just like a chainsaw lol..

And alot less vibration.

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I bet. Just pointing the reciprocating saw out for others with smaller tasks. They are quite versatile, with even brushes, scrapers, and other attachments.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the biggest downside to electric mowers is cleaning under the deck, especially the rider. at least the push mower i can tip on its side. but still, scraping the crud out after mowing is a lot more time consuming than hitting it with a hose.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s what I’m using, haven’t graduated to chain saw (never had one), but am considering it.

Using reciprocating saw on limbs on a tree works fairly well, but loose limbs on the ground need to be restrained or the saw almost shakes out of your hands.

I switch to a heavy machete whenever possible, say for light side limbs of branches on the ground, easier to work with.

Trollbait likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Try a Jaw Saw.

Best tool I've ever used or seen for the task. Very safe and easy to operate.

I found one for $50 at a pawn shop. There is also a cordless battery powered version of the item.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My greenworks riding mower has a hose nozzle cleaning thing right on the deck just like the old John Deere riding mower I used to have. The deck is likely just as waterproof as your old mower and if anything you won't be leaking gas and oil out onto the ground when you tip it over

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does the manual say not to spray the underdeck with water?

B&D has a comparable product, that is basically big scissors with a chainsaw blade.
    https://www.blackanddecker.com/products/llp120b/20v-max-alligator-lopper-cordless-chainsaw-tool-only

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That looks pretty good, at least for taking limbs off a standing tree.

The way the Jaw Saw helps me the most is dealing with grounded limbs: no kneeling or bending, just set the jaw over the limb, click the switch and push the shaft downwards to swing the bar. Almost like working a dandelion popper.

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What kind is yours? My Ego has a very shiny deck underside. The wet grass just slides off with a swipe from a paint stirring stick. I have used a hose, but the wooden stick is easier and quicker.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Trollbait likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ego as well. i'll try that, are you recycling? seems to turn it into concrete on mine

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's amazing, top rated for years. do they have an electric?

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Doesn't look like anything in the US. Maybe elsewhere.

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I try to clean it right after mowing while it's still wet. If I let it dry, it's a lot harder. This time of year, it's dry enough that nothing sticks, but soon it'll be necessary to mow early in the morning before the dew dries and the temperature gets too high.

bisco likes this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I went ahead and rented a Nifty 50 and over Saturday and Sunday afternoon I was able to cut about 125 logs off a dead Laurel Oak in my backyard. About 40 of the logs were 3-4 inches in diameter the rest was about 8-10 inches in diameter.

It took 4 different saws to pull it off. A Kobalt 18 inch 80 Volt battery a Kobalt 14 inch 40 Volt Battery a New Dewalt 8 inch 20 volt battery and a Sunjoe 8 inch electric pole saw. I love the Kobalt saws there great. The Kobalt 18 inch is very heavy though but that's great when your bucking on the ground.

I manually sharpened the chains on all the saws a few times. Broke the chain on the 14 inch once.

There still remains a very large rotten branch that hangs mainly over my fence onto the neighbors property. I cant reach it I'm blocked by my fence and the tree base itself.

This neighbor is a renter a nice lady and her landlord the owner of that property is a cantankerous old Florida cracker cheap skate and has not responded to my warnings nor the renters warning of how unsafe it is and how much damage its going to do to his house if this limb snaps off at the crotch. Its really not an if its a when and pretty soon I'm afraid. It will take out his porch a bit of his brand new roof and his power drop line. And my fence.

So i dealt mainly on my side with multiple 45 foot long branches where if those had broken off would take out the neighborhood high tension power line. The top one the 7500 volt one. Exciting!

The quotes I got to do this work were ridiculous so I did it myself.

The Nifty 50 is a quiet diesel powered lift it weighs 6000 lbs its easy to drive easy to use and when your fully extended up in the bucket and have a 8 foot pole saw you can reach about 65 feet safely.
    This is third time I have rented this lift for this very tree. It's delivered Friday afternoon and picked up Monday morning for $723.

I have hired 2 other tree guys over the years just to get it to the point I could reach it with a Nifty 50. Those guys topped it by rope swinging around like monkeys using 12 inch Stihl's.

From this point on its going to take a pro with a big bar saw for the next swing at it I'm done. It was a huge 85 foot high tree to begin with when I bought the house 23 years ago. Irma beat the hell out of it and Ian finished it.

Good Times. Here's a few before and after pics:

Attached Files:

#759 edthefox5, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
    jerrymildred likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not sure about riders but my push mower is pretty easy:
    upload_2023-5-17_7-31-23.png
    • Much higher than our previous gas mowers.
    • No gas or oil to leak out or go to 'bad places'.
    • Battery is easily removed.
    upload_2023-5-17_7-34-50.png

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.