Battery Power for Lawn equipment -- is it time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a super long accessory hose for my shop vac that I bought for next to nothing. It easily reaches my second story. I use it once (or twice) a year to really clean out the gutters.

The issue is that I need wife to help on the ground and move it around. She is not all that willing.

But works great, when I can get her to help -- which -- as I said, is only once or twice a year.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thanks for the idea.

So, I checked into this and looks like the type of NiCad cells I need run about $5 each in the US ($2 on alibaba) and I'd need 15 to make 18v so anywhere from $30-45 per pack. Add in the costs of a better iron (mine's really old and weak) and the need to make a butt-load of perfect soldering joints and it's really a no-brainer to just buy a new pack at Lowes for $39 each (and less chance of burning the house down while charging my possiblly poor work!) to get me by short term.

My rechargeable drill that I frequently use is an even weaker 14.4v NiCad model so I'm definitely upgrading that one to a new LiOn unit next. Now I need to decide what family product line to get that has matching packs so I can phase in a new leaf blower and weed wacker a little bit later down the line and finally say goodbye to NiCads.

Thanks Steve, this thread is going to cost me some money! :LOL:

cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, that's what my guy did for $200. black guck everywhere, and debris. using a contractor is always less satisfactory, but safer.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nickel battery chemistries have the same voltage and amperage per cell. I need to double check, but that should mean you can replace the NiCad with NiMH without issue with the same charger.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's Fall and leaves are coming down - I couldn't resist any longer. The EGO brand was tempting with excellent reviews here and elsewhere and best in class power, but went with a value option and just picked a:

Ryobi 40-Volt Leaf Blower
    -110 MPH 480 CFM Variable-Speed
    -40-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless
    -3.0 Ah Battery and Charger Included
    -price to me: $135

Charging the battery now, so will take if for a spin later this afternoon. Will give the old electric corded blower to my parents.

Zythryn likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I missed this thread... good stuff in here!

We became 1st time homeowners in 2016. Said home came with yard, lawn, flowerbeds, veg garden, chicken run & coop... As such, I had the opportunity to pick which tools I wanted for taking care of it all. Previous owner had roughly 20 small-engine powered things. I was able to go almost entirely electric by the time I was done outfitting.

The kit:

Robomow RS630 automatic mower (part of the yard)
    Greenworks 40v walk-behind mower (for the parts the robot isn't good at)
    DeWalt 40v string trimmer
    Black & Decker hedge trimmer (cord)
    Worx jaw saw (cord)
    Craftsman 16" chainsaw (cord)
    B&D leaf & brush chipper (cord)
    Worx leaf blower/vac/shredder (cord)
    Greenworks 40v soil cultivator
    Greenworks 40v snow shovel
    Greenworks 40v leaf blower/vac/shredder (has largely replaced the Worx model listed above)

I was able to get most of the above secondhand, and saved a lot that way. The Greenworks tools all share the same 3 batteries, and while I wish they were a bit tougher I'm pretty happy with the performance of all 4.

I also needed something bigger for snow removal. I wound up with a gas-powered 2 stage thrower. There simply weren't any electric choices with enough power at that time. There are a few new ones on the market since 2016. I'm hoping to sell off the one I have and replace it with an electric once I've seen the right machine.

Smells a lot nicer when there aren't any gas fumes, and my stuff is quieter from four feet away than my neighbors' machines at a hundred paces.

#66 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have been using some battery operated tools for years. The Greenworks 40v system appears to be really good. We have the 2 battery mower and small s=chainsaw we have used for a couple of years. We just bought the leaf blower & string trimmer to replace the crap Black & Decker 36V / 40V units. The B&D chargers tend to die. We do use gas tools where appropriate. We have a riding mower, chainsaws for major tree felling, and an old tractor for our large garden, etc.
    Snow throwers do not work well for Virginia snow. We have a push blade for our tractor, though.

8. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    This was a timely thread for me. My little Homelite 2-cycle has worked beautifully for many years until it started leaking gas from the carburetor after shut-down (stuck float?). Tried and tried to find a carburetor rebuild kit for it but no luck. Besides, I am tired to smelling like gas fumes every time it's used so I bought an Ego 5803 at HD last night for ~$180. Hope this will do the trick and my wife may even be willing to use it from time to time.;)

9. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Senior Member

OREGON -- Back to the place that I remember
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: CARB rebuild.

My local chainsaw repair guru told me the last time I went in that sure, he could sell me a rebuild kit for $20. He said a GOOD NEW CARB was $24.

My choice. I was almost tempted to go with the rebuild kit.

RoadNoise and Prodigyplace like this.