1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery problem indication

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by samibour1984, Nov 24, 2019.

1. samibour1984

samibour1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hi;
    i made a battery test to my 2011 car with mileage 209000KM, the maximum delta voltage difference was 0.03 volt and they told me it's on the threshold and it may go after that bad.

can anybody advice regarding battery status and if the 0.03 voltage means bad thing?

Attached Files:

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We’re there any symptoms that lead you to have battery diagnosed or was it performed during a routine maintenance operation? The readings are very minimal differentiation. You think they might be trying to sell you a battery?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @samibour1984

The good news is that the voltage readings for your 14 blocks are fairly close.

The bad news is that there is only a 6.99 amp draw being applied, yet the block voltages are all in the low 14.x range. That's below the 7.2 volts per module (14.4v for a block) plateau for a NiMH battery. That's much lower than I would expect for a "healthy" battery. I think your photos are more indicative of a low overall capacity, not necessarily indicative of individual failing modules. That's NOT saying there aren't weak modules.

I think your battery is just showing it's age. The battery could easily have 28 modules that are low capacity, but relatively well balanced. A battery like that could still last years, it just wouldn't be able to run the AC, etc for very long without the engine starting to charge it back up. This normally shows as a reduction in MPG, as the engine now has to run more often to recharge the battery, and the battery can't store as much energy as it previously was able to store. That means it has less energy available for EV mode, making the engine run more.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They as of PC members?

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model: