1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Problems?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by beetnerk, Aug 29, 2021.

1. beetnerk

beetnerk New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I just bought a used 2013 Prius C yesterday at 129k miles and drove it 300+ miles yesterday because I got lost on the way home. For the first 150 or so miles on the highway I got 55 mpg, and then when I stopped the car to get gas I was only getting around 46-49 mpg for the rest of the trip. I'd assume that during this time, the battery got fully charged and was good to go (I wasn't paying significant attention to it but I know that throughout most of the trip it was fully charged). The lower mpg was on the final stretch between Chicago and Champaign Illinois which is known for being extremely flat.

After I got home last night, I took my car about a mile away to a vet for my sick Great Dane mix puppy to get checked out (who absolutely loves the back seat of the C and fits comfortably). I don't remember looking at all at the battery since this was around midnight, but when I moved my car from the front of the house into the garage this morning to detail it, the battery was at 2 bars out of 6. I'm really new to this car so I don't know if that's unusual or if my car is having battery failure? The lower mpg of the car was also driving at night, but I don't really know how the headlights operate either... I know the side goes from 0 - ? - buttons - brights, but if I accidentally left the headlights on the second (between no lights and buttons lit up) setting for an hour while at the vet, would that drain the battery? I know the car beeped at me for trying to leave with the buttons on, but it didn't beep at me with it on the second setting. I know that the headlights were also very dim at night and difficult to see with so much that the brights were about the level of the headlights of most other cars on the highway it felt like. I'm an electrical engineer so I feel like I should have a better idea of what's happening, but I'm completely new to the hybrid scene and have no clue what to expect. I know the previous owner hasn't driven the car much at all (<10k miles) since the pandemic because they are still work-at-home and bought a newer more expensive car. All the work has been done at the dealership and the battery has always tested fine and the mpg doesn't feel unexpected either. I'd categorize the acceleration as being slow, but definitely not slower than any other Prius I've handled (again, I've really only driven around a couple of them mostly with friends who have prii or on test drives and not any beyond 2010).

I'm buying an adapter to use the Dr. Prius app to check the resistances and voltages on the battery, but is it worth investing in something like a Prolong battery reconditioner? I travel solo a lot with my dog for my skydiving career and a lot of extreme sports/trail marathoning and I really don't want to come back after a few days to a dead Prius...

Update: I just figured out the headlights situation oops, it would make sense why I thought the "brights" looked like normal headlights... Not sure if daytime running lights would stay on after turning off ignition/leaving the car but that would certainly explain the battery if they did...

#1 beetnerk, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2021
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get a manual at toyota.com/owners.

the battery will fluctuate between full and 2 bars. most of the time it's slightly above middle.

there isn't enough information to make a determination yet.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't panic just yet.
    The "state of charge" for the hybrid battery will vary all over the place and it seems to defy logic.
    Especially with the C, it stays near the low side most of the time.
    At least all 4 or mine have.

4. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure you're clear on the 2 different batteries (12 volt vs. high voltage or traction battery), what they do, and the effects of them being low.

Which one are you most concerned about now? Since we're on the subject, how old is your 12V battery?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Danny13pruisc3 likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on finding a c!

I'd agree that it is too early to tell if you have a real battery problem.

One thing you should learn, particularly as a pet owner: keep the battery cooling system clean! There are easy to find youtube videos that show how to clean the works with a vacuum. You can maximize your hybrid battery health by keeping that cooling system clean and free of pet hair.

You can test your 12v battery with a simple voltmeter. The hybrid battery takes a bit more work.

Danny13pruisc3 likes this.
  7. Adventurer2112

Adventurer2112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi beet,
    I’m in the Champaign area. I use the Carista OBD2 code reader with the app. Also the Dr. Prius app. I have a 2014 C 4
    I average 40 - 45 mpg. I’ve a lead foot.
    Jack

8. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    I live out in the country (both my Indiana home and Florida home)...At my Indiana home, after I park the car in the barn (about 200ft) from the road, my battery is usually in the middle...At my florida home,,,.it is about 2 miles from the main road to my house, mostly slightly downhill and a very long grass driveway (300 yards or more) and my battery than is usually at 2 bars. Between Chicago and Champaigne, were you on the Interstate? How fast were you going? My 2015 prius c averages around 53-54mpg on superslab at 70 mph....However, If I do between 75-78 mphs, it drops down to upper 40s....also, using Cruise Control actually lowers the mpg, sometimes a lot, sometime only a few mpg....

9. Adventurer2112

Adventurer2112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi
    70 - 80 ish. On hiway I’m a delivery driver. Lots of stop & go.
    I run ac at 84 & higher. Didn’t use ac & got 4 or 5 mpg higher.