1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bkcriz20, May 24, 2017.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Definitely give Toyota another shot. The worst that can happen is they say no again.

bkcriz20 likes this.
  2. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I sort of did called Toyota back like about an hour after the first time they shoot me down. They said the same thing the first time. Idk if I should just hold off and try tomorrow again. I totally understand the loyalty is important here but when you don't even give a discount to those that are alittle of the warranty date is just crazy. I'm not saying I don't want to pay nothing at all. I'm willing to pay something but not $3500, when I only had it for a year and my miles are no where close to 150,000 miles.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're tone will help too. Give them openings, phrases like "is there anything you can do for me?" for example. You're situation is very close, just out of warranty.

srellim234 likes this.
  4. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'll try to give another shot tomorrow (5/31).

srellim234 likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you can offer them examples of people that have gotten goodwill warranties. Asking if you can get something like that?

I've been very fortunate to get almost all the requests of mine fulfilled when I ask for some type of assistance with Toyota. When my hatch handle rubber started melting, I asked and they offered me $500 to fix it. When my 2010 steering intermediate shaft went bad, they also picked up the tab for that, that was also a $500 repair.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But do you have history for your dealership because I don't and I think this is why they are denying me any assistance.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It helps that I have 7 Prius cars, most were bought used. All of them had previous dealer services.

I myself avoid dealers unless I have a recall. I like doing the work myself and I'm afraid of dealers upselling. So I tend not to go to them unless absolutely necessary.

8. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oo so I guess that's my problem here. No relationship with my Toyota dealership.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not necessarily. Warranty extensions, grace periods, are through Toyota, not the local dealership.

bkcriz20 likes this.
  10. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh. Then I guess I called during the wrong hours. They did have me on hold for about 5mins when they came back with "unfortunately we can't offer any assistance". So I don't know what they were looking at that to make their decision.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Emailing might be advantageous. Lay out your "case".

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There might be a week's wait time for them to respond to an email. I've gone that route and something you think you're just being ignored LOL

13. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So here is all the service the car had. This is from the first owner I never got my car serviced at a Toyota dealership since I bought it.

The third picture is the specs of the car and the selling dealer. Which my question, is that the original dealer that sold the car to the first owner?. Do anyone think it would be a good idea to take it to the original Toyota dealership where the first owner bought it from???

Attached Files:

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are a whole range of options besides buying barefoot from a dealer.

A $3500 new replacement from a dealer is the fastest, most hassle free way to get another 10 years out of a battery.

At the other end is rebuilding your current battery for as low as $100 and several months of your time.

There are 28 modules in the battery, and only one has been flagged as defective. So you could replace that one module with a used one from eBay for $50 + 4 hours assembly time. That would get you maybe a month, maybe even 6 months service before the next module goes.

I recently spent about $800 and three weeks of fiddling with my 2006 with 124,000 miles on it. There was one bad module which I replaced with a $33 eBay unit. That plus $700+ for a Hybrid Automotive grid charger/discharger. The Hybrid Automotive equipment recovers some capacity and rebalances the modules so that the strong modules don't destroy the weaker ones. I figure I bought another several years of service, perhaps with another few $33 modules.

Batteries are available as salvage, and rebuilt ones using the good parts from other batteries that have had a module failure.

Have you ever done any work on a car yourself? It's worth about $3000 in this case for you to figure out how to do it. People regularly ask me how I learned to work on my car. The original answer was that it was a choice between working on it or taking the bus. These days I'm just cheap. Priuschat is an excellent place to learn from the experience of others.

Prius_Angie and srellim234 like this.
  15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And you didn't really mention that there are several places now that offer "totally rebuilt" batteries with all new cells for around $2K.
    Add in labor to have it installed and you are about a grand below the Toyota price.

This has been discussed on here MANY times. A little searching should yield several options.

Prius_Angie and srellim234 like this.
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And neither did you, but if you are going to make such statements, you really owe it to the community to provide links to these "several" places that offer new module rebuilds. There is only one place mentioned quite recently which is the Bumblebee replacement battery.
    It is just laziness to to tell people to search (on this subject), because invariably people's searches just turn up the many charlatans hawking their "remanufactured" rubbish. I'm pretty well read on the Gen II forums and can say with some confidence that rebuilt with all new modules has not been discussed many times.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is a ridiculous statement to make.
    Telling someone that they should be able to help themselves doesn't even come close to laziness.
    Are you trying to say that other users here somehow have a responsibility to find out information for someone else......just because they ask ??

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The qualified statement is not ridiculous, when read as a whole and not just cherry picking and quoting out of context.
    It does if you have the knowledge and don't offer it. If you don't have the knowledge, then why bother saying anything at all?
    No, there is no responsibility or even any requirement to post anything, but if one with knowledge on a subject feels the need to contribute then the contribution should be informative and helpful. Those that have no knowledge or information to offer should just keep their thoughts to themselves.

19. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    UPDATE:

After the diagnostic (5/30/17) show that I need a new Hybrid battery, QueensBoro Toyota gave me a final total of $3472 for a new Hybrid battery, labor and tax. Mind you all, I'm a New to owning a car, I don't have any history with Toyota or this dealership.

During this appointment, was notify by the service employee that my warranty ran out 1MONTH AGO and they couldn't offer me any discount. As soon I was denied for a discount, I walked outside of the dealership and called Toyota HQ to see if I can receive some "GoodWill assistance". At this point, Toyota HQ also denied me for reasons unknown. So I decided to just pay for the diagnostic and see what other options I had.

The following morning (5/31/17) I decided to ask my brother inlaw (the car is registered under his name) to give a shot at calling Toyota HQ himself. In about 20 minutes after he called Toyota, my brother inlaw called me and told me "we have a case number and they will call use back within 2 business days." I don't know why Toyota gave my brother inlaw a different response.

On the morning of 6/5/17, my brother inlaw called Toyota HQ and we received a discount for $1000 for GoodWill by Toyota HQ, which the total came out to $2472 for the new battery, labor and tax. Toyota HQ told my brother inlaw we needed to call the service manager to make an appointment for a New Hybrid battery.

This is when it started to become weird and very unprofessional by QueensBoro Toyota dealership service department.

My brother inlaw called the service manager twice (6/5/17 and 6/6/17) and left 2 voicemails. The service manager never responded back and so I decided to make a regular appointment as if I was coming in for a maintenance. This appointment was set for 6/12/17. Now I had to wait a week to replace my Hybrid battery.

On 6/11/17, my brother inlaw called the service manager for the third time and finally receive a response by the service manager. He told my brother inlaw that he notice that Toyota HQ gave us GoodWill of $1000 and he notice that we already had an appointment (6/12/17) but for some reason he told my brother inlaw that the total cost would be $2730. Now this is when my brother inlaw ask why the difference between $2472 that was $1000 discounted of GoodWill from the total cost of $3472 (new battery, labor and tax) and the $2730. The service manager started to give my brother inlaw of bunch of useless information that the end my brother inlaw was very frustrated and accepted the final cost of $2730. My brother inlaw told me that Toyota HQ gave us a total of $2472 but without including the labor and tax according to the service manager. It was bull*** because the QueensBoro Toyota dealership gave me the total with battery, labor and tax of $3472. So why the difference?. I have no clue but I accepted the fact that I'll pay $2730.

The following day (6/13/17), I came in for my 9:45am appointment and I was told by a service employee that the repair will be done in the afternoon. Mind you, I notice the service manager walking around the dealership and not once did he look nor say anything to me (VERY UNPROFESSIONAL).

So since I didn't have anything to do, I just decided to hang around the neighborhood and wait until the repair was finished thinking that it will take at least an hour or two. I was wrong, I waited about 6 hours (it was 3pm). That's when I decided to ask one of the service employee about the progress of the repair. This is when the service employee gave a nasty response and told me "well I said the afternoon". Then I responded "its the afternoon and your service department closes at 5pm." This is when another service employee said "ooo I have your paperwork right here". Now I'm not stupid, I know that the repair was done hours ago but they just wanted me to wait longer (I notice on the receipt I was charge for 3 labor hours).lolololol.

As one of the service employees was filling my paperwork out (the one that denied me a discount during the diagnostic appointment), he notice that I was the same guy that came in for the diagnostic on 5/30/17. As he was filling out my paperwork he told me "remember when I told you to call Toyota HQ for GoodWill". I started laughing and said "sure you did". I called Toyota HQ myself and I found out the information on here by other Prius lovers.

At the end, they try to raise the final total again to $2930 because they didn't add tax but this is when I told them "listen my brother inlaw spoke to your service manager (he was right next to us) and he told us it would be $2730 with labor and tax, im not paying a cent more." Then the service employee said "oooo right right". So the final cost was $2730 and a 1 year warranty (told by the service employee.) Which I'm trying to find hardcore evidence if it's really a 1 year or 3 year warranty for a brand new hybrid battery from a Toyota dealership.

I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted everyone to see how I was treated. Throughout this experience, the service manager never apologize for not responding to my brother inlaw voicemails and he never looked nor say anything to me at the dealership. I know they were mad that I went to Toyota HQ for GoodWill after they denied me any discount just because I was 1 month off from warranty. I hope this post will help others for the future when their battery die and have to visit a Toyota dealership.

I STILL LOVE MY PRIUS but I will definitely go to another Toyota dealership in the future.

**Does anyone has information about the warranty on a brand new hybrid battery?. Did the service employee gave me the worng information about the warranty?. Is it really a 1 year warranty on the new hybrid battery?.

Thank you all for all the information. It helped to get my Prius back on the road.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes he did. Why don't you just make a call to Toyota HQ and get it confirmed in writing?