1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery rebuild experts need some help please.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vendingtech, Oct 1, 2019.

1. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I "thought" I recently rebuilt my pack. I load tested with a test light each battery and immediately identified a bad cell and tossed it and replaced another cell with low voltage. Rest of my cells seemed to check out. I have the charger and discharger from hybrid automotive and I ran the battery through a 30 hour charge, then discharge to 134v. Charge was about 26 hours for it to act full. (Fluxed between 239 and 240 ever min or so for about 4 hours) depleted to 101v and recharged for 30 hours.

Seemed good on first drive.
    At work day two sitting at drove through it apparently crapped and tossed another battery code. I had to keep driving so I used torque to clear so I could drive back to work.

I got these shots with Dr. Prius. See attached.

So question is. From those shots can anyone make a suggestion to what I need to replace next? Or is there another way I should have balanced the batteries.

Also I can hook up techstream tonight and if there is a specific screen I should share info on please advise.

Backstory. Pulled pack. All the connections were nasty and getting corroded. I wire brushed every stud and replace the buss bars with nickel bars. Replaced nuts. All wiring looks good. Wire brushed all connections to battery.

Appreciate anyone's assistance. Screenshot_20191001-150549.jpeg Screenshot_20191001-150634.jpeg Screenshot_20191001-151352.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From the above, the modules don’t look that far out of whack.

Some questions:
    • What are you using to read the codes with?
    • How do you know it was a battery code?
    • What was the code that cleared?
    • How long after the last top end balance did you let the car sit prior to starting it back up?
    I have not used a third party app to monitor performance, so someone else would have to speak to the display, but I think you have another issue and the codes go along way toward determining next steps ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What about front story? Miles driven and age of car? If old, the rest of the cells maybe on their way out so that’s why front story is needed to better help give you for cost effective to expenses and longevity ownership.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Front story. I sued the person I bought the car from as it had 65k on the odometer, yet Toyota records went up to 230k! So after suing and winning my money back on the car here we are. The battery was a wrecking yard battery out of a 2011. I know that from the famous wrecking yard paint pen info on the case and someone had at least pretended to refurb this battery before as all the cells had been written on.

So I have no idea real milage on car. Oh and btw it passed car fax. I could have gone after car fax but I still wanted a damn Prius and one almost free was better than nothing ;)

I can put techstream onto the car tonight. I just am not sure what screen is the best info here. I can drive through town mostly on battery and I can guarantee it to pop off a battery code.

I use torque to read and clear codes on the fly.

Please advise what you would like to see on techstream and I'll get that info.

Thanks!
    IMG_20190830_182945.jpeg IMG_20190830_181228.jpeg

7. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Below is screenshot of codes from torque before reset so I could drive home. Again it happened a slow speed where mostly battery is used.

Anything you can tell me about how to get proper info from techstream to help diagnose issue would be appreciated. Screenshot_20191002-185406.jpeg

8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You need to figure out the sub codes as the P0A80 just says there is a problem with the hv battery, but there can be MANY causes;).

Hook up Techstream and run the diagnostics and you’ll see more related to the actual situation (y).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am not too sure what info I should be looking for. Can someone give me some direction on what menus to run through to get detailed info.

I did get this.

Thanks! Image.jpeg Image%20(1).jpeg Image%20(2).jpeg Image%20(3).jpeg

10. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also found this incase it is also helpful.

Thanks for all the help. MVIMG_20191002_212059.jpeg

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe you need to click the snowflake icon beside the error for further information.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In your first screen shot the battery pack current value is showing negative.

Is the orange safety plug inserted and locked correctly?

Does the car get to ready state?

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Unfortunately, with a quick glance, there's nothing in the freeze frame data that jumps out. Obviously, the car was running at the time and the battery was under charge, which can hide some things. You definitely have something going on, as Charge Control Value is pretty typical at -22 kw but Discharge Control Value is only 13 kw. The battery is really being limited. If possible, after the car has sat overnight, put the car in ig-on condition (2 presses of the power button with foot not on the brake) and take a screen capture or photo of the HV Battery live screen. Letting it sit overnight will allow the modules to settle out.

donbright and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  15. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's see those bus bars and sensing wires I'd bet you got corrosion issues I can see some in your picture. That my friend will get you incorrect block voltages on techstream. And will trick the HV battery ecu into saying voltages are incorrect due to them not making good contact. But as stated above let the battery settle out and re check your cells and block voltages

Robert Holt likes this.
  16. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Those were before I replaced all the bus bars with nickel plated ones and put a wire brush in my drill and cleaned each battery post and wire contact. I also replaced all the nuts on each battery as it was easier than trying to clean each one. IMG_20190830_225858.jpeg

Robert Holt and Sharnold like this.
  17. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great. I'd do as stated above you need to run techstream and get a live battery condition. After they have depleted down over night to check the balance. Theres alot of us on here who will help this is a great community

18. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Was the info I posted from techstream what I should be getting. Is there anywhere that will give subcodes of what the battery code is tossing that may define the issue better?

Sharnold likes this.
  19. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hook your techstream up depress start button twice dont touch accelerator or brake. Run health check to receive codes that are present, pending, then save to file. Then run a live check of the HV battery it will give you voltages instead of the negative readings you pulled earlier.... example in my picture 20190928_191002.jpeg

Robert Holt likes this.
  20. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here are the reading from this AM before getting into ready mode.

Is the 12v batter voltage concerning? 11.81?

Appreciate your assistance. I have the laptop with me at work if there is anything else I need to read or try I can do that at noon.

Thanks! MVIMG_20191004_075003.jpeg MVIMG_20191004_075010.jpeg MVIMG_20191004_075016.jpeg MVIMG_20191004_075029.jpeg