1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery red in carwash, trouble ahead?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MB31, Jun 15, 2018.

1. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I know it worked before, I just noticed it doesn't any longer.

What do do next... I have it a little over a year now. Paid 4500 Euros for it and had the battery rebuilt for 500 about a year ago. It has over 270.000 km on it (170.000 miles).

I'm very happy with the car, love the way it drives and love the mileage driving a 100 km commute every day.

I was planning to drive it for a couple of years but that will be quite expensive this way. As it is still working at the moment perhaps I should switch to a different car. As it will be in the same pricerange it will no longer be a hybrid :-(

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm purely speculating here.
    But I'm guessing that the Prius's inability to make it through a car wash without the battery dropping into the red, may indeed be a sign of trouble ahead.

My question would be, "Were you on relatively low charge entering the Car Wash?".

Because my experience, with a newer battery, and newer Prius, was that a healthy Hybrid Battery, on the "positive" side of charge level, really had no trouble making it through a drive through car wash.
    It's true in neutral the battery won't charge. But the 3-5 minutes a typical drive through takes was IMO perfectly fine.

I only got a low battery warning once, and the fault was all mine. I got in a long line at the car wash on a hot day, ran my AC all the way up, and by the time I entered the battery was on the "negative" lower side of charge level. Still everything was fine, I just got a warning before I exited.

If you can't make it through a car wash without the Hybrid Battery dropping into the red, it probably isn't the best sign for the battery. I'd probably just avoid drive through car washes.

If it is otherwise SAFELY operating? I'd probably just keep driving until it throws a code.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sure sounds like the battery is on its way out. You could drive it till it throws a code and/or stops running. Or rebuild the battery again (worst option, in my opinion), get a new battery, or replace the whole car. At 270,000 km, it's had a pretty good run. Just not an outstanding run.