1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery replacement, brand new battery pack from dealership questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ashley H, Dec 3, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL. Besides me

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but I could also see that as the resistance increased some blocks became weak with the gen3 modules indicating that the problem was with the modules not the ECU and I did eventually re-use the cases and ECU's without a problem

3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It didn't seem like it failed it just became weak in a few modules with internal resistance spiking on a couple blocks. They tested fine with DVM ( all had similar voltage), I didn't load test them. I had to re-assemble back into the 2012 case and I sent the packs back for a refund.

4. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Are new Gen II batteries still available from Toyota (as of Feb 2015?)

Approximately how much do the new from dealer Gen II batteries cost (parts only)?

Will an authorized Toyota dealer sell only the HV batteries, without insisting on doing the installation themselves?

What is the model year breakover point between so called "old Gen II" batteries, versus "new Gen II" batteries?

My Prius is a 2006 model year, manufactured in late 2005. As a Gen II, is my '06 considered "old" or "new"?

Are there any electronics or module updates needed to be done when installing the new HV batteries?

If I wanted to retrofit plug in charging capability, would I be wasting money buying new HV batteries, because a different kind of battery is needed for plug in capability?

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It depends. Most plugin kits use original battery together with extra battery so isn’t wasting anything. But there are completed plugin systems that replace original battery completely.

cbs4 likes this.
  6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. cbs4

cbs4 Member

On edit, I answered my own question that wondered which generation Prius I have. As I suspected, I have a Gen II. What threw me off was the Prius V forum, which I thought meant roman numeral 5, or Gen V. I wondered what happened to Gen IV, and why there wasn't a forum for it. I didn't realize that there was a Prius called "V", just as there is a Prius called "C", which doesn't mean Gen 100.

I bought my Prius new nine years ago, and haven't kept up with the new models. I keep cars 20 years, so there is no point in keeping up with each successive model until needing a new car again.

As I enter into the 10th year with my 2006 Prius, with 140,000 miles thus far, I am thinking about the motive batteries. I have noticed a decline in fuel economy from when new. Initially I averaged 55 mpg, and now I get about 47 mpg (all according to the screen, not hand calculated).

I don' have any add on EV switches or JDM parts, and I don't have any coastal electronic hacks. The package 6 car is simply bone stock as originally built. I did finally change the auxiliary start battery in the very back of the car, with a genuine Toyota battery from the dealer.

Is a plug in hybrid system that replaces the entire 28 unit cluster of HV batteries a good idea? I noticed newer Prius badges say "Plug In Hybrid".

#67 cbs4, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As you found out, there is no Gen 5 Prius yet. There are;
    GEN 1 Prius, which has a trunk, rear-wheel-drive and small looking wheels. 2001 - 2003 here in the US.
    Then there was the GEN II Prius. Hatchback, front wheel drive. 2004-2009.
    Then there was the GEN III Prius. 2010 - present.

Then Toyota came out with 4 variations of the Gen III Prius, if you include the original GEN III as a variation.
    1. Prius C - Smaller version of Gen III Prius. 2012 (Wikipedia says 12/2011) - present.
    2. Prius V - Larger version of Gen III Prius. (It is V, not 5. People have confused the Mazda 5 and Prius V, which is why I think Toyota has emphasized "V".) 10/2011 according to Wikipedia, to present.
    3. Prius III original (like all other Prius cars, it has the Metal Hydride battery.)
    4. Prius Plug-in - which is like a Prius III but has the lithium-ion battery, and can be plugged in to recharge. 2012 - present.

I am only here today because I got the P0A80 and P3017 code.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2010/11 U.S. Prius came in V. Then with the advent of "Prius v" V became 5, in 2012. Clear as mud?

10. BabbleBits

BabbleBits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An old thread, I know … however, I just ordered a replacement traction battery from my local Toyota Dealer for my 06 Prius. I already have my battery removed from the car, so I'd like to just bring mine in when I pick up the new one from the dealer so that they won't charge for the core fee.

What parts should I remove, and which parts stay in my old core? Is there a video available showing how to remove the ECU for this battery swap … assuming this still needs to be removed before turning my old core in?

Thanks!

11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m pretty sure they are going to charge you the core fee just to give you the battery. Unless you got it ok’ed by them. You have to repack the old battery parts in a very specific way, in the same box. If you live close to the dealer it would be easier to just pick up the new one in the morning and drop off the old one in the afternoon. That way if you do miss something you will still have the core. It’s not like a water pump or starter, you only get part of the battery you need to use your existing parts for the rest.

12. BabbleBits

BabbleBits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Skibob. I'll plan on making two trips then. The dealership is only a few miles away, so that's not a huge issue for me. It makes sense that they'd want it packed up in a certain way.