1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery replacement gone bad? Need help.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wvkrug, Jan 3, 2012.

1. wvkrug

wvkrug New Member

2005 Prius, 90k, original battery I think, started beeping on shutdown, then wouldn’t start today (cold). Got a new battery, but the back hatch wouldn’t open, so I tried to jump it following owner’s manual instructions. Didn’t help, headlights came on at first (although stalk switch was off), but doors/car wouldn’t respond. Disconnected and reconnected jumpers, lights off this time, still no response when trying doors or starting car.

Replaced battery via the back doors rather than hatch. Now when I try to power on, one push gets me a green light, two gets me a very short whir from the dash and a flashing orange power light.

I’d prefer a fix that involves me drinking a beer, maybe breaking some stuff with a bat. Thanks.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Post pics please! :rockon:

Are you positive (pun intended) that the new battery had a good charge before installation?

3. wvkrug

wvkrug New Member

I was assuming that the new battery would be OK. Or at least OK enough to get the car going once.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beeping on shutdown means your keyfob battery is dying. So your fob might be dead. Go get a CR2032 (I think?) battery from anywhere (walmart, radioshack, homedepot, walgreens, anywhere really) and see if your fob works.

5. wvkrug

wvkrug New Member

I'll try it, but they aren't that old, and they both died at the same time?

6. wvkrug

wvkrug New Member

New fob battery didn't change anything, unfortunately. :(

7. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well can you get that back hatch open now (there is a pull cord in there if all else fails)? Make sure you have the cables on the new battery clamped down properly. That sounds like a poor ground.

Just a thought....

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on where you get it a new battery might not be fully charged. Do you have a voltmeter to check?

I hope you didn't reverse the polarity, either when jumping or when installing the new battery; if you did then a tow to a dealer is in your immediate future.