1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by findlj, Aug 11, 2010.

1. findlj

findlj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,
    I have an '06 Prius with 76K on it that, up until now, I've absolutely loved. However, the Multi Function Display touchpad has stopped working completely. The new replacement MFD is 1200 bucks plus installation.

My question is, I'd like to know the mileage that owners are having to replace their hybrid battery array in, because if this cost is looming as well in 25 - 50K miles, I may rethink spending the money on replacing the MFD.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A salvaged MFD from Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV would have been about $500 and any car stereo shop can install one using instructions on the web.
    Your traction battery is guaranteed by Toyota for 100kmiles/8years (150kmiles/10years in CA and some other states) so no near term worry. the experience has been that the HV battery in 2004-2009 Prii have been quite reliable with only a small number of replacements needed which is why salvaged ones are generally available on eBay for about $500. My 2004 Prius is at 178k miles and other than an MFD repair (I did it myself for $30), a replacement Radio/CD ($84 - salvage)and normal maintenance, it is doing fine.

JeffD

1 person likes this.