1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery replacing question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, May 9, 2019.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So another question about my battery replacement adventure today: when taking out the brace/bar that holds the battery in, the bolt on the floor side, (between the brake assn. unit and the battery itself) broke; I'd have to drill out the bolt in order to get a new one in there. So I decided on doing that now, and ended up installing the batt. without that brace. Bad idea? The battery is pretty heavy so I'm wondering if it's really necessary or if I should go through the trouble of taking out the brake assn. unit, drilling the hole...etc. What do you think?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would take the time to do it right. the battery's not going anywhere except in an accident.

it may bounce on bad roads, which may not be good for it, idk.

3. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "I would take the time to do it right" I suppose I should listen to what I know already... Of course I was hoping someone would say "ohl heck no! That piece is useless. Forget it! "

Considering it'll probably take 20 minutes I really have no excuse considering how much care I put into this car already...

bisco likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a bad idea to go without the brace.

But if you were stuck in the middle of nowhere and had no time or tools to do the job, the car would operate fine without it.