1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Stuck at one purple bar, red triangle and check engine lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jleven22, May 31, 2017.

1. Jleven22

Jleven22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I'm a month less new to the Prius. Got a great deal on an awesome model at 103K in "great" condition. Well, a few times I've had the following lights pop on temporarily: red triangle of death, exclamation point circle?, VSC, and check engine. They go off usually within the day.

However now they aren't turning off and the battery bar is stuck at purple. Also, my vent on the back seat is loud. But the biggest issue is that today I stopped at a light and when I tried to go again it was sluggish and couldn't seem to accelerate, like it was only the electric motor running or something. Can someone help diagnose? Autozone came back with no error codes. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Mindi Richardson likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The Autozone reader can't read the Toyota hybrid specific codes as they aren't standardize OBD codes. Anyways, your hybrid battery is dead. Your options (in order of most expensive to least):

1) Get a new Toyota battery
    2) Get a rebuilt (repaired) 3rd party battery
    3) Find a used battery from a junkyard (unicorn really)
    4) Repair the battery by replacing the individual failed modules within the pack with other used working ones.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    it's good that you got a great deal. take it to a toyota dealer for code reading, or get a mini vci if you're a serious diy'er.
    if you need a new battery, i would go with new. it's the only long lasting option, and it sounds like you love your car, and intend to keep it.
    all the best!(y)

4. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You shouldn't be driving the car around in this condition except to go to repair shop.

5. Jleven22

Jleven22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm taking to Toyota today to get it diagnosed. But what are opinions on aftermarket modular repair? There's a place in town that does it for $400 flat, vs a several $K cost for new.

Also, things seem to be back to normal today (except the lights on the dash). Any thoughts on that?

6. Jleven22

Jleven22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update -- found a place in town that could replace for $350 with a refurbished battery, and I'm so happy because I knew them from shopping around for a Prius in the first place. Then they also included a lifetime warranty on the thing. And everything seems to be back in working order! Thanks everyone for your help, this hiccup could not have gone down better than it did!

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great deal! you may want to consider helping others by naming this 'place in town'.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $350 with a lifetime warranty? I guess pigs will fly next.

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the name of the company?
    Did they give you an invoice or receipt with the warranty info? I'd be interested to see what it says.

Raytheeagle likes this.