1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery suggestions 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Simsonic, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Simsonic

Simsonic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Had my 2013 Prius Three for 8 years and the battery finally went out. Not bad! So I went to Costco and find out that they don’t carry car batteries for hybrids. Interesting.

Any suggestions on where to get a new replacement, the brand, and a good deal or discount? I don’t mind ordering online and waiting a few days.

2. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Any suggestions on where to get a new replacement, the brand, and a good deal or discount?"

Don't know your location, or if this company is in your area, but I bought this one from Pep Boys. Purchased online and picked up at a local store:
    Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group, Size 51
    This is an AGM battery of the correct size, and it is properly vented. $178.43 with the core.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call around to auto parts stores, ask for discount coupons. i paid 200 for another oem.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Almost all of the auto parts stores will have a replacement.

Be careful about the lowest priced option as they may be normal lead acid instead of agm. This site used to be on the Optima bandwagon, but I think they are over rated and absolutely have cheap battery terminals which can be crushed.

Some have found genuine Toyota Truestart batteries for the same price as aftermarket. Remember the dealers jack up all their part prices and sometimes you just have to ask for a discount when you are standing at the counter. Has worked for me in the past. My part was 0054421171325

By the way, it does not take much to power up the car. I have used an old alarm system 5 amp hour agm at the fusebox power tab in the past. Or one of the lower cost lithium jump boxes. However if the vehicle's 12v battery is deeply discharged, a jump battery can be dragged down by the discharged unit, at least for a few minutes.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #5 Mendel Leisk, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good battery and good price.
    ANY AGM of the proper group size should work......BUT you might need a "post adapter" to connect the cables.
    Call around. Even dealers. Some might match a price you find elsewhere.

I personally don't like to have batteries shipped even though I have done it occasionally with smaller ones.
    Too many things can go wrong.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    O'reilly has 20% off ship to home Super Start 46B24R.

Batteries+Bulbs has Duralast for 10% off but 48 month warranty.

Me if I need to buy will be another eBay LiFePO4...

moto g(7) power ?