1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery temp and other high precision gauges!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dan., Jul 1, 2008.

1. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ditto on a friction braking indicator if you can get to it (and if it exists). Intuitively it seems to me that there should be a signal in the CAN to indicate when friction brakes are engaged. But based on what I've read from Hobbit (http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/bp/), some amount of caliper movement is initiated whenever you depress the brake pedal to get the pads in a ready position (close to but not touching the rotors). The trick would be to distinguish between when this type of ready engagement occurs vs. the actual application of the brake pads to the rotors (or rear drum brake engagement). Hobbit devised an indicator light that increases in intensity with increased hydraulic brake pressure, which is very cool but way beyond most everyone else's capabilities to build and install. Hopefully there is a signal in the CAN to give a yes/no friction braking feedback. Thanks again as always!

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i personally just FEAL it
    when you press the brake pedal only a bit you will here the electric generator making noise
    and by only pressing it ( not pushing hard down ) you will not use the pads

3. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can feel the transition at 7MPH. I can certainly feel it in an emergency braking situation. When I can't feel friction braking (and it may sometimes occur) is under moderately hard braking conditions. For example, on my commute home I have a fairly steep downhill that I often come into at speeds around 50 MPH and then have to slow down to about 10-15 mph over a relatively short distance for a turn at the bottom. In this instance I see regenerative current in excess of 90 amps. I'm pretty sure I'm engaging some friction braking at this point, but I really can't feel it. I think it's still mostly regenerative but perhaps there is some friction brake assist to prevent reaching the regenerative current limit; supposedly 99 amps though I've never seen it go quite that high. Some confirmation would be nice and the real time feedback would be beneficial to aid in practicing different braking techniques to minimize engagement if it does in fact occur in such circumstances.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This doesn't give a warm and fuzzy feeling about the reliability of the scan gauge, does it? :(

Have anyone observed such corruption in readings other than MPG? (I hope the "direct" readings such as voltage, current, temperature, RPM, and ignition timing etc. would not be as easily corrupted.)

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have not had any corruption even moving it between cars & leaving it in hybrid mode.

1 person likes this.