1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Temp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Feb 19, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think so. And it wouldn't need to be a very power hungry system either. I think keeping the battery at 60 degrees F would be more than adequate.

I also speculated the other day, as I was watching the cold battery take over an hour to get up to a decent temp, if some system to utilize the hot exhaust to heat the battery...but you'd need a way to prevent leaks to the interior and a way to regulate it in hot weather since cooling is the issue then.

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Our mileage took a direct hit from the same cold snap, same region. Dropped about 4mpg, right along with the drop in temps. (hey, is the stock market connected to this too?) This is probably because the car is seeing mostly 3-10 mile trips. It's back in the 40's now and so is the car's mileage.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i hit the mid 40's mpg on the cold snap, but since then, temps in the mid 40's averaging 50 mpg on trips of less than 8 miles one way. soooo...back to normal