1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery terminal replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abador, Nov 13, 2019.

1. abador

abador New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every so often my Prius goes dead. The first time this happened I called roadside assistance and they simply moved the cable leading to the 12 volt battery then the car started. Ever since then I simply move the positive terminal connection and it seems to fix the problem. I have tried to tighten the connection in the past but it was as tight as it would go. My assumption is that the terminal simply needs to be replaced because it does move pretty freely when I move the cable leading to the positive terminal. I am fairly new to the wonderful world of Prius but it seems like I am learning about it quickly. If I am not mistaken the terminals on a standard 12 volt battery are bigger than the terminals on a Prius 12 volt battery. Is there a good place that I can make certain that I am buying the right terminal connector?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

"The "JIS" type is similar to the SAE but smaller, once again positive is larger than negative but both are smaller than their SAE counterparts. Most older Japanese cars were fitted with JIS terminals."

Battery terminal - Wikipedia

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @abador

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Send me your info via PM. I will send you an entire Gen 2 (+) terminal post clamp assembly, so all you'll need to do is unplug the 2 cables, remove your old one and install the new one, then plug the cables back in.

SFO likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to make certain before you go off and buy anything, you realise the terminals are chamfered so that they are narrower at the top than the bottom. Because of this, you need to undo the bolt on the clamp a considerable amount and then you need to use a large screwdriver (or similar) to wedge the bracket apart so it fits really loosely over the terminal and will slide on right down to the bottom of the terminal. The secret now is to press the terminal clamp really firmly downward when you use a box wrench, ensuring you don't lever the clamp upward by accidentally hitting the top of the battery with the wrench, to tighten the clamp up tight. If this was your problem you should find that you can now tighten the clamp up really tight.

I hope that helps.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @dolj

That is actually a really good point.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got caught up in a few things and it slipped my mind, but I dropped it off at the PO this morning. Should be a 2 day delivery, iirc.

SFO and abador like this.
  7. abador

abador New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, I got it and installed it. It seems to be working well, Thanks for sending it my way. :)

#7 abador, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. Aaron Bostick

Aaron Bostick New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hi @TMR-JWAP

Do you still have "Gen 2 (+) terminal post clamp assembly" available? I have the same problem as OP with a 2008 Prius.

Thanks

9. Pimp daddy prius

Pimp daddy prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm having the exact same problem, with my 06b