1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery terminals needed for JIS/Pencil Post

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusfoever, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Priusfoever

Priusfoever New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This is my first post, so please bear with me.

My 2009 Prius battery died, so I purchased a new battery at a national auto parts store (autozone). When I tried installing the new battery (optima yellow top for Prius), the terminal posts wouldn’t fit the new battery. It turns out my old battery was optima yellow top but the terminals were larger (SAE I believe) and so the battery terminal posts fit for the larger terminals. Now the terminals posts in my car dont fit the small pencil posts/JIS terminals on the new battery. I don’t know how to install my new battery since the terminal posts don’t fit the battery. Any help will be appreciated.
    Happy to add photos if that helps.
    Thank you,

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Easiest solution to return the battery and buy one with the larger posts. Although that may not be the correct battery, but it has worked this long, you can just buy the same battery with the larger posts

Priusfoever and SFO like this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This sounds like something a standard, fairly inexpensive Group 51 battery would likely fit. The vent tube is probably already gone/discarded/not used. Considering the reputation the Optimas have lately (deserving or not, idk) maybe a Group 51 agm is the way to go.

Priusfoever likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a new ground wire and positive terminal from the Toyota dealer. Would be way cheaper if you could find them at a junkyard though.

Priusfoever likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was fiddling around with that stuff recently I had both hardware.
    Can't remember why but I think I had the same predicament and bought some of those lead terminal covers.to fill the gap space and tightened as good as I could. I was junking the car via Peddle.com so just needed to make it run.

Well I sort of remember why, the car sat in the driveway during COVID and damn battery went dead.

Priusfoever likes this.
  6. Priusfoever

Priusfoever New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for your help! I found a JIS (pencil post) to SAE adapter from batterymart and their store on eBay. It fixed the problem! If I didn’t find it, I would have returned the battery and purchased a battery with bigger posts. Adding a pic of the adapter in case someone needs it. Thank you again. Love this community! 7A65DF84-828B-4FEB-9582-A87FA0E5F900.jpeg 7A65DF84-828B-4FEB-9582-A87FA0E5F900.jpeg

wjtracy likes this.
  7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much were they?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are good ones!
    I could not find those so I used thinner ones and had to double up the lead to fill the gap