1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery warranty replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by unigeezer, Aug 4, 2020.

1. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Under what conditions is Toyota obligated to replace the Hybrid battery that still under warranty? Does the "check hybrid battery" light have to come on before they'll even consider it? I have a 2011 with less than 70,000 miles. I've noticed that it has been getting progressively worse gas mileage, and the Hybrid battery indicator drops down to one or two bars overnight or if it's been sitting for more than a couple hours. Also, if I'm driving on a flat section at 35mph, using only battery, it will quickly drop from full bars to 1 or 2. This leads me to suspect that the battery is dying. Will they replace it under these conditions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first you have to get the red triangle. then you have to take it in for diagnosis. if the trouble codes point to the battery, or anything else under warranty, it gets replaced for free.

if not, you have to pay for the diagnostic work and any repairs you choose to make.

the battery drop does seem a little funky, but it depends how far you drive. the battery isn't designed to propel the car, but to assist the engine and store energy.
    other things can reduce your mpg's.

but maybe it will fail before your 10 years are up.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before that, put car in neutral then blast the A/C. Once the code is thrown, tow it to the dealership and have them pull the code. Describe what you said here to them about the symptoms and if they can go for the ride along.

One feller floored the accelerator, car threw an inverter bad code, his was replaced for free because it was still under warranty. Pure genius.

#3 Grit, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Bay Stater, bisco and Majafamily like this.