1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery worries

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Mithrandrost, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Mithrandrost

Mithrandrost Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi folks. New 2018 Gen4 owner (base version, Canada) since June. Have been reading posts here at Prius Chat since date of purchase. I became a bit concerned a few weeks ago about posts regarding dead batteries. I started to look into the issue and found that while some batteries could last years and thousands of miles, others lasted a shorter time.

From what I have read, the core issue with longevity is heat and dust. While you can't always control ambient temperature outdoors, you can most certainly control dust by keeping the battery air intake filter clean.

Any other battery tips?

Here's an interesting YouTube video that torches on this:

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that the Gen 4 is the first generation with an air filter for the hybrid battery vent. The 2nd and 3rd Gen did not which resulted in dust build up on the fan blades.

Smaug1, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're in canada, so heat is not a major concern.

overall, the cooling fan is rarely an issue. dust on the blades has never been shown to be problematic.

what is important is make sure the intake grille is never blocked, and if you carry shedding animals regularly, clean the grill filter regularly. and check the fan every so often.

most batteries last a long time. the few that don't were likely defective from the factory.
    another factor in older batteries is corrosion from humidity.

overall, you really don't need to lose any sleep.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Relax - enjoy your new 2018 - it's likely got a decade or more before you have to think about it (assuming normal kilometres per year driver).

That video was made ages ago - prior to the release of Gen 4 PRIUS - and is talking about batteries which were "old" at that time. TOYOTA's technology has changed a lot since then. And - I got the feeling it was more an advertising video than real news.

Is yours a NiMH or Li-ION?

Taxis have been driving PRIUS since Gen 2 with almost no issues.

Drink in the fuel savings, and low maintenance (ie brakes and having no gearbox) - your savings are far higher than the cost of a battery if it dies.

Starship16, Smaug1 and RCO like this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There have been real issues for owners of long haired pets that ride in the Prius. Does that describe your situation?

#5 JimboPalmer, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    DLC82SV and Smaug1 like this.
  6. Mithrandrost

Mithrandrost Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the responses. The base Prius (Canada) has the NiMH battery. We do have a dog and kids, so dust and hair could be an issue. I will be checking and cleaning the air vent filter on a regular basis. We tend to keep cars as long as possible and I am thinking ahead to when the car is older.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

DLC82SV, bisco and Smaug1 like this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota has over 20 years experience with NiMH batteries in Prius; they are very good at it. The filter will be cheap piece of mind.

DLC82SV and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, it'll be over 10 years before you have to start worrying about the hybrid battery. Just from the money that you save on gas is more than enough to replace it and enjoy the car for another 10 years after that.

krmcg likes this.
  9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How & where do I find this battery filter?

DLC82SV likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Behind the vent on the RH side of the rear seat. There is a small 2nd vent in the middle of the rear seat, but nobody has come up with an answer as to what it does.

I checked mine when the car was 18mths old, and it was spotless. But then, my poodles are non-shedding.

Only thing to watch is that you don't fill the back foot-space with "junk" - whether useful junk or not. I remember 2 of us going camping, driving in our old VOLVO and all our sleeping bags, groundsheets etc we packed into the rear foot-space. With a PRIUS, if you do that, just keep it clear of the RH Vent - and because we don't know what the centre one is, keep it clear too. both vents.jpg

Tideland Prius, Tande and Starship16 like this.
  11. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Alan.

You must have the European Spec Prius I presume. Mine does not have that small center vent. I have a vent on the RH and the LH (bottom) of the back seat.