1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bay Area/ SoCal Call: Full Sound Proofing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by d.joulez, Aug 31, 2018.

1. d.joulez

d.joulez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

New here. I’m looking to buy a 3rd gen Prius for its reliability, mileage, and exterior looks

And intend on doing a full sound proofing to it. Floor, ceiling, turning the doors into speaker enclosures, and a full aftermarket stereo

Really looking for something with great MPG and a really clean sounding tomb to cruise in. Understanding that I’ll be putting in several pounds of MLV and other material. My logic is to start with a vehicle that offers one of the best MPG so that once I’m done. It’s still in the “great” bracket

Is there anyone in either of these two areas that have done it and are satisfied?

Looking for input on how achievable this is with the 3rd gen prius. Because it could not be. I’ve read about the Michelin energy savers. Spraying the wheel wells

But I’m honestly looking for a cabin quieter than a Lexus or MB. And my systems are always very modest. Commonly happy with 500-750w all around power. So nothing too crazy

Looking for someone willing to share and preach about their work and craftsmanship

Thanks!

Burna J and PriusCamper like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use to work in car stereo installation biz back in high school... I've not run across many Prius posts for sound system mods... But you can use a power inverter on the 12v battery and run 110v pro audio rack gear and powered speakers... That's what I did with my Mackie Sound system back in the day. Lol...

Attached Files:

3. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But seriously... My experience with car stereo systems is the price is way toounfair for how bad signal-to-noise ratio and worse yet, acoustic quality-wise. It's just not a good place for sound quality. I mean there's nothing impressive at all about the sound of someone's license plate rattling to the beat of the music.

That being said, I'd love to see how far you go with stripping out the interior and and using sound deadening paint and sound deadening material. From what I've read the placement of the material you install is way more important than how much of it you install... Undercarriage paint can be helpful, but if it's a sloppy job future repairs and moisture getting trapped in the sloppy parts is a concern.

Also, not sure on Gen3, but on Gen2 the stereo is integrated into the rest of the car so much that you either need to rewire the OEM stereo to ride under the seat, or install the right resistor so the car thinks that the original OEM stereo is still functioning normally. But that was something I read on here 5 years ago, so maybe there's finally a new way to integrate a new system with the old? Maybe there's a function in Toyota Techstream diagnostic software for that?

Finally, the Gen3 are incredibly crowded and claustrophobic to me because the poorly designed center console is way too big if you're tall and don't have enough leg room. So I'd suggest rewiring the gear shifter and placing it elsewhere (Japanese Toyota Racing Design Website used to sell an aftermarket push button shifter) and then ripping everything out from the stereo system all the way down to back seat and replacing it with a matching upholstered cushion between the front seats so the area feels more expansive, more like a bench seat, rather than the awful of sitting inside a plastic box.

#3 PriusCamper, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  4. d.joulez

d.joulez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. that photo is epic!

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've only sound deadened the front doors and trunk, it helped controlling rattles and did quiet the door some, but it is still no where near as quiet as my Acura MDX. Plus adding all the sound deadener really killed my mpg; I avg 42. I say just get the lexus cth200 or whatever it's called and get a good base to start from.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point... Of course being able to afford a Lexus Hybrid is another question entirely. As for the weight issue, I'd recommend stripping out the interior of the car and finding as many ways as possible to reduce the weight of the vehicle by the same amount of new soundproofing weight you put in. There's a guy on here currently doing that with his Prius C, maybe chat with him about it.

7. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't really strip anything but the spare tire, I carry around a big nice person sub box and went with maple plywood to save weight. Worth it for me, having a good sub system is mandatory.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe a long term project to plan for is stripping interior down to bare metal and doing better lighter seats and all new upholstery and weld in a sub box that's of a light enough weight to not cost you a fortune in gas over the car's lifespan... If you want to do a sub right, you gotta weld it into the vehicles frame! Besides think of how much nicer the interior would be if you smoothed out the lines and got rid of all the unneeded extra?

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... Back in the day even Mackie was impressed and they posted it to their website... That was the only time I was ever referred to as a Mackoid.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So how long will you plan to keep the car after sound dampening it?

Radiospank likes this.
  11. d.joulez

d.joulez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol - I could pick up a ct200... maybe that's the better route to go?

but I liked the look of the gen3 prius more lol. and my girlfriend has one and we love it.

I thought mercedes level cabin isolation with 42-44MPG in a $8,000 car would hold me over until self driving became more prevalent.

the point was to pick the best MPG car that could handle the negatives of putting more pounds into the prius

12. kurobaxkaito

kurobaxkaito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I did the the full car using the package from Sound Deadeners Showdown. Took a few days to do but I'm very pleased with the results. Sure, it adds about 80~100LB of dead weight but it wasn't enough to notice my mpg drop.

I actually have a small bit of materials left over if you're interested in for a discount. I have like 2 boxes of CLD tiles, a small roll of MLV, CCF, melamine foam, etc.

[​IMG]

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice work! Please post lots more pics... I'm especially interested in how you end up re-doing the dashboard with the new sound system, as well as how you redo the door panels and roof...

14. kurobaxkaito

kurobaxkaito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I didn't take too many pictures but it's all pretty straight forward. I didn't do the dashboard so I can't help you there. I did full door, trunk lid, trunk, floor, roof, everything that is reasonable.

15. d.joulez

d.joulez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow!

Can I sit in your car? lol that sounds so weird, but I would love to hear it compare to my girlfriends.

Honestly, I really like the space of a prius, and the exterior looks of the 3rd gen. I'd just hate to pull everything from the headliner to the carpet out. do all the work and find out the cabin is still more hollow and tinny than the CT
    [​IMG]
    and! i'm excited to throw one of these into the dash

Especially because of the way the dash is sloped in the prius

16. georgegui

georgegui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's funny because i have a prius 2010 and an acura mdx advance 2015 as well. I sound deaded the front door in the prius and the trunk area.

I also finished installing the SonicElectronix all in one unit and it's no where near as quiet as my Acura.