1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BBC became a propaganda machine for climate change zealots

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by johalareewi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm an enviromental libertarian, so most of my stands on the issues anger people that call themselves conservatives, especially social conservatives.

I am not sure of the pitfalls of the fairness doctrine, but from what I gleaned it seemed like a good policy in exchange for a broadcast license.

Many free enterprise proponents do like the idea for a government option (partial single payer) for health care. It would allow people to change jobs without losing health care, and current system really does not have free market advantages. That said what came out of congress on the health care bill seems like a give away to the insurance industry without real reform or a public option. But hey, I'd rather talk about how screwed up they are in europe. I don't see much hope of this congress "fixing" health care, only breaking it further.

2. CheeseheadPrius

CheeseheadPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just wondering how they know you have a TV in your RV or wherever? What if you sell the RV with the TV how do they know who to charge? What if your TV breaks but you still have it? Probably all dumb questions.

3. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    BBC is really bad. They are highly biased. I've also heard they don't give equal time for flat earthers, 9/11 conspiracy theorists, birthers, Bin Laden sympathizers, neo nazis, KKK etc. Infact as a famous comedian put it, fact itself is liberally biased.

2 people like this.
  4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Even though a TV is a receiver, it actually transmits a signal strong enough to be detected several hundred feet away. So before there were the Google picture cars wandering every street, there were the TV police checking for unlicensed TVs.

I'm rather surprised that there doesn't seem to be a market in filtering equipment that would prevent detection. Seems like something a good radio technician could brew up for less than a year's license fee.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They know that everyone has a tv these days and will probably have one in their caravan/trailer or RV/camper van and as such these vehicles will be prime pickings for investigation. They will come onto a camp site in the evening and check that you have a tv licence!

Also, they have a note of every house in the UK and again assume that everyone will have a tv. You need to declare you don't! However, they will still check up on you and the penalties are harsh if you have lied. You don't pay your cable or mobile phone bill and they cut you off - don't pay the tv licence and you go to jail!

Perhaps the following link will explain some of the technicalities and also details of the tv detector vans and 'enforcement officers' and you can see why tv licence collection is so loved here.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van"]Television licensing in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, gb is starting to sound more like the old soviet union or nazi germany. i think i would stick to the net and dvd service. do you drop a dime on each other like the smog people here when you know someone is operating an illegal tv?

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    BBC completely ignores the amazing weather predictions of Piers Corbyn.
    Hes from England.Wth?
    He predicted the coldest blizzards in England recently .Kind of an important story if you live in the UK.
    In the past few months he predicted so many events its obvious that he definitely
    understands the true cause of weather,which mainstream science has'nt got a clue.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/1weatheraction#p/u/1/C7JuZKyl2x8"]YouTube - 1weatheraction's Channel[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/1weatheraction#p/u/0/CfG5MBs33qc"]YouTube - 1weatheraction's Channel[/ame]

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems truly scary. Add to that the cameras everywhere in London, and maybe George Orwell was just a few decades off :confused:

The scariest use of the media right now is Egypt. State television used to say reporters are Israeli spies.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sort of a revisit of the history of why Great Britain and the Colonies parted ways.

When my daughter was real young see explained to me a solution you might want to propose to your countrymen. She stated that the English needed to rebel against the British for more freedom.

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't even go there! :eek:

There has been talk lately about Scotland wanting a referendum on devolution and how it's the nasty English holding on to them and holding them back. The Scotish government did a survey to find out if the results would go their way and found that a higher percentage of English backed the devolution plans than the Scots did!

So it's not quite so clear cut as some one think. And before you ask, I've got English, Scotish and Italian ancestry. :focus:

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Kingdom's not so United, is it? I find it interesting when relatives from England say they're from the UK, and relatives from Scotland say they're from Scotland. ;)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look, we all have our problems. it's the people who point to another country and say, "look, that's how it should be done. much better than what we have." but if you talk to people in any country, they are usually split down the middle just like here in the u.s.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course we do - I wasn't meaning to point any fingers of shame in a particular direction. Canada has its divisions, too, as I imagine most places do. But, there's nothing wrong with looking at how other countries and cultures do things and learning from it.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i wasn't referring to your particular post. just people in general. i agree 100%. it's just that there is a lot of fud? tossed around and sometime it's difficult to wade through.:)

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think everywhere has its issues. What I have learnt from my job is that people are people where ever you are, whereever you go and whereever you're from - 98% of them are good, genuine people and 2% are ****holes.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...and then there are the good people just having a bad day. Sometimes it's hard to tell them from the 2%, but not always.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hopefully, the original comment was a five year not understanding that British and English were one in the same in many US history books. However, I may need a first hand report. Is their a distinction between what constitutes the British and what constitutes the English?

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically, yes.
    that explains it.

2 people like this.
  19. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for post. It was great fun to watch. It helps me focus my question better.

Let me give an example. In Europe, a Yank was an American. When I lived in Tennessee, a Yank was someone from a state on the Union Side of the Civil War. When I lived in Indiana, a Yank was someone from New England. In New England, a Yank was a baseball fan of a certain team in New York.

It would be fun to know how a "Brit" views the term in England Proper. (Not the formal definition, but any slang term like I describe above.)

20. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are good and bad things in all systems, but some things just seem objectively wrong.

Having the government send the police over to see if you have a tv, then sending you to jail if you are not paying for the government propaganda, should just seem wrong to most of us. There are differences of opinion on whether the government should control the news. I'm happy that US government controled news is not forced on us, and I can look at Al Jiz and Comedy Central Fox and even the bbc to seee what is going on and suplement my internet sources.

I love it, maybe your 5 year old knew more about the difference than you :)