1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BBC: Top Gear admits Tesla didn't run out of juice

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by PeakOilGarage, Dec 22, 2008.

1. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You may recall from the recent episode of Top Gear that they claimed the Tesla ran out of electricity and had to be pushed back to the garage. Tesla was upset and claimed that the car never had less than 20% of a charge and they questioned the motives of Top Gear showing the car being pushed.

Now the BBC has revealed that it was staged. Hmmmm....

BBC: Top Gear Tesla didn’t run out of juice Peak Oil Garage

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured it was staged or they did not give it a full charge to begin with.
    I think they said they also had problems with the brakes. I wonder if they actually had problems with the brakes or if they was lying about that too. If they are lying about this then why should I believe that any other car they "test" can go 0-60mph in less than 4 seconds?

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another indication of their level of credibility, to go along with their Prius tests. I used to think you could always trust the BBC...?

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And how is this different than running out of gas in a regular car? People do run out of gas every day!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true..but in a car there's a gas station on every corner and it's a trivial matter to grab a gallon of gas and be on your way. Not so trivial if you run out of battery juice in the middle of no where.

But still, what a ridiculous thing to do for Top Gear...as if I wasn't pissed enough at their unfair representation of the Prius. Idiots.

6. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Well it used to be a show about cars but now it's jsut a chat show with little or no factual content just a rake of moronic idiots blowing their own trumpets.

7. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have found that electric outlets are much more common and widely available than gas stations. There are electric outlets in every single building, parking lot, parking garage, etc.

The outlets are often easily found within range of parking spaces. If not, the wiring is already in place to create an extra outlet.

So it is a red herring for us to claim that a driver might be stuck with no energy to recharge from. It is really not much different than gasoline.
    The only valid criticism of electric vehicles is the time requirement to recharge.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's fine for vehicles with an onboard charger (I don't think the Tesla does, the Rav4EV doesn't, the EV1 didn't--even my electric golf cart doesn't)...and if you're not on a highway, or busy city street, and if someone will let you use their outlet, and if you're close enough to your destination that a few minutes of charge will get you there, and if you're not in a hurry to get t your destination and can wait for the charge.

Look, I'm an EV fan, I want an EV. I'm a believer in EVs...but to deny the potential for seriously annoying issues is just plain unrealistic. Even along my route to work (15 miles) there are long sections of road where a battery failure would be a major problem and would require a tow...in a gas car I hitch a ride 2 miles to a gas station, grab a jug, hitch another ride and I'm back on my way. I think most of us would become very much aware of our SOC and it would be a rare thing to run low. But as EVs become more widely used it's more and more likely that people would forget about such things and find themselves stranded.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't watch the episode but I find Top Gear to be TOTALLY worthless for fair, objective and factual car information. The trashing of cars, bizarro conclusions and Clarkson's attitude are entertainment to some but I don't have time for that.

He unfairly trashed the Prius (and gave a whole bunch of misinformation) and the 350Z.

He also gave some wildass conclusion that the Porsche Boxster was the BEST value in sports cars (something to that effect) which is just bizarre too. Porsches cost an arm and a leg to maintain besides their high upfront cost. I know someone who got rid of one in favor of a 350Z because the routine maintenance was insanely expensive. Luckily, he didn't need any repairs.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    am i surprised at the slanted view of the Prius and the Tesla?? considering what they normally do and who their audience and sponsors are?...nah, not that surprised.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Top Gear is an entertainment show with cars not a car show that happens to entertain.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe the Tesla can be plugged into any 110 or 220 volt plug. It charges most rapidly from its dedicated high-power charger, but can be charged anywhere.

My Xebra has its own on-board charger. I installed an unusual (LiFePO4) battery pack that came with its own special charger/BMS, so now I need a 25-amp service to charge it, but the stock Xebra plugs into any 20-amp 110-volt plug.

The Zenn also plugs into a regular 110-volt outlet.

The biggest issue right now for EVs is the cost and weight or size of batteries. For many people, the distance they need to go would cost too much for the batteries. But for many two-car families, one long-range car is adequate, and the daily driver can be an EV.

Publishing (or broadcasting) an outright lie is not acceptable. There is a world of difference between stating that if the car ran out of juice you'd have to push it, and stating that after driving 1/5 its claimed range it did run out of juice! And there's a world of difference between a commentary with negative opinions, and outright lying about the facts!

Apparently Top Gear strives to be the Weekly World News of automotive broadcasting. Next they'll be telling us they have discovered Elvis Presley's limousine on Mars.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the new chinese EV has dual chargers and EV's will not succeed if this option is not there. sure 110 is slow, but opportunity charging, even if for 30 mins here, 20 mins there, will make a huge difference, if not just for peace of mind for the consumer...

i do it now, mostly to get the word out. cant tell you how many people think my car still takes gas although it has big bright lime green logo on both sides that announces

ELECTRIC!!

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So Jeremy is a lying POS Propagandist, the Tabloid of the Turbocharger, the World News of British Auto. Nothing new there, we knew that all along, right? Will he be telling us next that Aliens crahsed on Honshu, and were rescued by Toyota test drivers, and to show their thanks, designed the Prius for them?... :eek: :) :rolleyes: :D

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm, yep, that would correct

16. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah good. I get to go after Evan. He called me annoying once... so I'll fulfill that prophecy. :)

Steady there, Evan. There is NOT a gas station on every corner "in the middle of nowhere." Apples and oranges, my friend. If you compare being in town - there are orders of magnitude more power outlets than gas stations. If you compare "in the middle of nowhere" you're still way more likely to find electricity than to find gasoline. As Peak Oil pointed out, the only valid discrepancy in favor of the gas car is the speed of refill. Avilability will ALWAYS go to the EV. But anyway...

Yup.

Back the truck up...
    ALL modern EVs will have onboard chargers. The Tesla has one, the EV1 actually had a portable one in the trunk, the GEMs have them. The Rav4EV was originally designed with an on-board charger, but for business reasons, they took it out and made us hang it on the wall. This is a manufactured hurdle, not a native one! And like I said, ALL modern ones will have onboard chargers. This is a requirement to make and sell EVs in NA.

Before we even get to that point, you'd have to work at running out of charge. You have to ignore all the warnings. You have to ignore the fact that you know *precisely* how much charge you have (this is not the guess guage of the Prius in question here!). And you have to dismiss the fact that you can self-rescue when you "run out of juice." Let the batteries rest and float back up. You'll get more miles for free. Everything else fails? Call a freaking tow truck like everybody else does for their broken gas cars.

I know you're on the right side of this Evan. But you are making WAY more out of this than reality has demonstrated. This fear of "running out of juice" is so amazingly over-blown in the public's eye, that it is somewhat pathetic, actually. I have over 100,000 miles of EV driving under my belt. I have 500,000 miles of gasoline driving under my belt. And I can say with great confidence that the big worry of running out of charge is a non-starter. If you can manage to safely drive a gas car between fillups, you can surely do the same with an EV. And in the future when there are charge stations at the mall, at work, at the theater, at the restaurant... well, this "issue" will be totally forgotten.

Why do we not worry about gasoline cars bursting into flames? That's a very real concern, and yet just about NOBODY even considers it. Why? Because we've driven them so often without becoming a fireball that we just ignore the possibility. But the fear of the unknown is huge. And those who haven't driven an EV are just itching to worry about something. There is plenty to worry about - this isn't one of those things.

The only reason Top Gear would have included this bit of distress is because it is what the viewer wants to hear. The viewer already thinks it, so show them how smart they are to be concerned. And pretty soon this bit of fairytale becomes everybody's reality.

I find that if you want to know what it is like to live with an EV... you're best off asking somebody who lives with an EV.

You assume that the only thing that can go wrong in a gas car is running out of gas? EVs are FAR more reliable than gas cars as far as breakdowns go. A battery "failure" is one thing. Do you mean running out of charge? Hitching a ride two ways to find a gallon of gas sure doesn't sound like a cake walk to me. Running out of fuel sucks no matter what kind of car you drive. Let's pretend it was your wife or child. At that point, I don't care what the fuel of choice is - you call somebody.

Experience has demonstrated just the opposite. But really - look at how many people are stranding themselves in the *gasoline* Prius. All you have to do is follow some VERY simple rules and pay attention. It just isn't that hard, and with all the other things to worry about in this world - this just doesn't rate.

Annoying enough?

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I anticipated this sort of confusion, so my Xebra says "ALL ELECTRIC ALL THE TIME."

My Porsche, which appears to be nearing completion, six months after I ordered it, will have (so I've been promised) a 125 mile range at freeway speed. That means 100 miles and I'll still have 20% SOC, which with LiFePO4 is supposed to be plenty to assure long life. So I will never have to charge away from home. If I really have to go farther than 100 miles I'll just have to take the stinker. That won't happen except for road trips, though I will probably end up using the stinker any time the roads are snowy.

It's screwy, though: When we first got our Priuses everyone asked if we had to plug them in, and we had to explain what a hybrid is. Now that a few of us are getting EVs, people always ask if they use gas!!!

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On the fear of running out of juice:

Sometimes people ask me what happens if my Xebra runs out of juice. I say that in that case it stops, just like a gasoline car that runs out of gas. They always smile when I say that. It's one of those obvious things.

As I've said elsewhere, the bigger issue today is the cost of getting the range that people need if they choose to live far from work. Enough batteries for 100 miles of range is still pretty expensive.

It's true that if you have a car with a 20-mile range (such as the stock Xebra) or even a 40-mile range (like mine) you do have to think about how far you are going to drive. With a stinker you need to fuel up less often. But this is more a matter of planning than anything else.

With a bicycle you never have to think about fuel. (You have to eat, but you need to do that whether you bicycle or not.)

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    not true outside of the land of fruits and nuts my friend...unless you've got a REALLY long extension cord. Where I routinely drive (not counting my regular commute) an outlet could be miles away. While it's trival to bring the gas to a car it's not so trivial to bring a car to an outlet.

The current crop of EV enthusiasts are nearly ritualistic in their awareness and management of their cars and their awareness of the SOC and range are keen. Start getting these in the mass market and you're going to have folks that forget to plug in, don't realize that the breaker was thrown, get busy talking on their cell phones, etc. And while there may be 100 houses within a 1/2 mile distance of their running out of volts the likelihood of one of those people allowing them to charge up may not be so great.

Don't forget, I'm all for EVs...but I'm also a realist and there are going to be "horror stories" from distraught women who were in a bad neighborhood in New York when they ran out of charge...and it'll all be the EV's fault and this never would have happened with a gas car and now she's afraid to drive it, blah, blah, blah. If you ignore the truth of this then the infrastructure will never be built and/or car designers will not find ways to deal with this (built in 'back-up battery'?) eventuality.

Good to know

I know that...but, again, people ignore those hints all the time.

And I say you're making too little of it. As I pointed out above, it's like comparing a Prius hypermiler to a average joe that drives like any old gas car...the results will vary. People will forget to plug in. They'll think the light meant something else...Whatever the real fault it won't stop the bad press and the blame being laid on the EV. Doesn't matter a lick if it's fair or not, it'll make good press.
    I know that, you know that...but all it will take is one bad report and it'll spread like wildfire. I'm saying that the concerns need to be addressed in a preemptive manner, not a defensive one.

Yup, so you should eliminate that arguement by providing means of preventing and fixing it should it occur. Emergency road-side boosting or some such thing.

yep, that seems like a good idea...but you, again, discount the masses. They'll buy on a whim b/c they saw a story on CNN. They won't educate themselves. They'll make mistakes in charging and battery maintenance. These cars cannot be built with YOU and ME in mind, it must be built for the least common denominator or face certain failure. And that is NOT something I want and I know you don't either.

I assume no such thing...you made that up.
    Because EVs are so reliable the most likely thing to go wrong is a battery failure or discharge--or a charger failure.
    Yes, running out of gas is a PITA as is any breakdown--but it's something we've all become accustom to and have learned to deal with. An EV failing will leave everyone feeling helpless.

No no no....there's not enough to count as "experience". Hell, there are 1/2 million Prii on the roads in the USA and there's not enough "experience" to satisfy people that they're safe and reliable.

Only in that you're being blind to the reality of mass expansion of EVs on the market and the ways people will find to screw them up and find faults. I, personally, have none of those fears...but I've eased into the technology. I've actively educated myself. Nothing you've said above is news to me or something I didn't understand....but it is stuff that a lot of first time owners will not understand...and I promise that the press won't understand...and that the nay sayers don't WANT to understand. It's wise to aim for that least common denominator.

20. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    efusco,
    I am approaching this from a different POV.

As you can tell from my handle, I firmly believe that Peak Oil is coming in the near future, if we have not already passed the peak. It is just a matter of time before gasoline/diesel is not always readily available. In some regions of the USA (and the planet) gasoline supplies will be interrupted. Not from a major disaster, but due to the reality that there is not enough supply for everyone to always get gasoline on demand. Those supply shortages will just become more common every year.

At that point, when gasoline is not available on demand, no matter how rich you are, will people be willing to change their habits? Will there even be any other options?

I don't see them. I have been reading about Peak Oil, possible solutions, the problems with some alternatives (corn ethanol, hydrogen, etc) and so far I really don't see anything that makes sense other than electricity. The pure EV and the PHEV are the only solutions that have a chance at this time.

So we will be forced to struggle with the limitations of batteries and just keep moving forward.

Very often in regards to electric vehicles, the naysayers often claim, "not ready for prime time". I think prime time is over and the oil age is near "lights out". After half of the oil is gone (peak oil) then the remaining oil is MUCH tougher to extract.

People will learn to use an EV, monitor their SOC and plan their trips accordingly. Otherwise they will be stuck with no other options for personal mobility. Those who can adapt will thrive. Those that refuse to adapt can sit on their butt, lose their job, lose everything and wonder what happened.

I don't think that this is optional. The transition to electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids (Volt, Hymotion, etc) is going to be mandatory.