1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BC Safety Plus Package-Complimentary Discount ($1,000)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Lee Gedansky, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Lee Gedansky

Lee Gedansky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I test drove a Prius Two last week, Blizzard Pearl, and it was mostly stock except for the color, the all weather mats and cargo liner, and the Safety Plus Package. The first two were options with upcharges, but the third, was listed as complementary with the price listed ($1000) and backed out (-$1000). I assumed this was a standard feature of the Prius Two, so when I went to buy my car elsewhere, and the MSRP was the same, I assumed I was getting the same car. Not so. I didn't realize that the blind spot indicators, parking assist and other features that are part of the package are not complementary with all Prius Twos.

My sales rep said he has never heard of these features below the Prius four. I ran a search and the Toyota features chart for the 2017 Prius line says it's not available in the Prius 1, 2 or 3. But, I drove a Prius Two at another dealer, have a pic of the sticker, and even saw the blind spot indicators in action, so I know they exist.

I am probably SOL, but I want to go back and return it for a model with the extra, complementary, safety features.

Has anyone heard of these features being complementary in the 2017 Prius Two?

Thanks!

#1 Lee Gedansky, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are probably SOL. But if you don't think you'll need/use those extra features, then you didn't really miss out.

I bought my prius 5 with many features I'll never use, but were included

3. Lee Gedansky

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would have used most or all of them. And, per the internal memo dated April 1 2917 (The link to which, my newbie status won't let me post here) all the safety plus features are supposed to be standard in all 2017 Prius twos and up. Not only that, the MSRP is lower than previously stated (and lower than utilized by truecar) for vehicles.

So, how to get my dealer or Toyota to honor this?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota has lowered the MSRP of some of their cars. You must have bought one of the cars that were produced before the price reduction. Maybe you can just ask them?

For example the RAV4 was reduced by more than $1000 just last month.....but you would have to buy the one with the new MSRP.

5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to hear -- sounds like a bummer.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but you would be asking the dealer to take back a car due to a mistake the dealership had nothing to do with. Having been sold and driven, the car is definitely worth less having had an additional owner. If it is going to eat at you, then trade it in for a car with the safety features or just try to forget about it would be my advice.

6. Lee Gedansky

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My new car (201 miles) was actually made in 11/2016 and doesn't have the complementary features. It's great that they offered it for a low price, but they are also offering less of a car. The NEW MSRP is
    I understand the dealer meant no ill-intent, but they did sell a vehicle that is published as having the aforementioned package complimentary, so they, or Toyota, do have some responsibility. But, if they are NOT willing to help, then the question becomes, what's my trade in value and can I get what I want without taking a notable loss?

7. Lee Gedansky

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So they were very nice and are willing to swap cars if I want one with the Safety Plus package included. However, a $1000 rebate we qualified for on our current car (intended for earlier 2017 production models) that will go away (it doesn't go with this package as a line item) and there are no cars with the package in the immediate area. They can order one in within 24-48 hours, but won't be the color combo I have (I have Blizzard Pearl with Black interior).

After having a few days to think about it...

1) Blind spot indicator would be nice, but may not be as effective as just adding a blind spot mirror on both sides

2) the rear cross traffic sonar is cute but only matters when backing up and I have the mirrors and the camera to keep from hitting things

3) Parking assist is cool but I know how to parallel park and don't anticipate using that often.

4) I would have to give up my color combo.

So... save $1000, get blind spot mirrors and keep my color combo?

or

Spent $1000 more, get the package and take whatever color combo they can get for me?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sometimes you wish you just bought the car and never looked up information online. Then you've been happy from day 1

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They changed the safety features during 2-17/ The new "2017.5" models with the added standard safety like Blind Spot Monitoring are just hitting the dealers now. Those of us with the "older" 2017 models just lose out. :(