1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BC/WA/OR/ID Meetup Sept 2009

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 26, 2009.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fire? I hope not. Doesn't everybody keep an extinguisher next to their barbecue? ;) I was thinking we might get some reserved parking.

Queen Elizabeth park is a good spot, too. The nearby restaurant is very nice, but there's a dress code. (I hate shaving my legs.) :rolleyes:

My favourite little pizza place would be overwhelmed by thirty of us all at once. I'll have to think about it.

You know, this really should be an annual event. Any chance Van Dusen Gardens would be as nice to us as they are to the Jaguar and Bentley owners?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nah... maybe when we grow a bit in a few years. We'll just take up some public spots. I mean so far, it's just me and JR LOL. The rest of you guys are maybes or unavailable.

Or we can meet and drive to QE lol. Either way works.

30 eh? How many taxi drivers did you invite?!?!

I doubt it but it never hurts to ask.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None, yet. They need a destination. :cool:

Well, if it really is just a few of us, then QE park sounds fine. (You were thinking of the lot on top of the reservoir, right?) Maps of the park are available on the web for those who need directions. If it's a nice day, we could still drive out to UBC, or even up Cypress.

We'll try for something bigger and fancier next year. How many cars would 10% of the local Prius population be?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that was what I was thinking.

lol sure. 10% jeeez.. that'll be a good number I'd wager.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok. was interested in visiting you guys since it be just a 3 hour drive. but went to get "super license" (combo driver's license and passport to Canada) and was declined based on being "deadbeat" dad.

now, my child support is taken directly out of my check and has been that way for the 5½ years that i have at my current job. now, i will admit that i had issues before when i was free lancing jobs and paying on time but i would think that after 5 years??

hard to believe that get behind one time, you are screwed for life. i have appealed but that was Monday. did not hear anything from them this week so apparently not going to be a very fast process. i will probably have to call them next week if i dont hear anything from them soon

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope you can join us, Dave!

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, do we have a definite date on this? I'm booked for the 20th (Olympia Pagan Pride).

I know where Stanley Park is. I can generally find places in Vancouver.
    JavaJunki will accompany me, of course.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can understand keeping the terrorists out, but people who fall behind in their support payments hardly fall into that category. Don't quote me, but I'm not certain a passport is absolutely mandatory. The new rules are being phased in over time, and crossing the border by car requires less documentation than by plane. ('papers' says the humourless guard) You'll need a licence, obviously, but maybe not one that's 'super'.

Hey, that's great! It'll be nice to see you again. :)
    I think it's the 27th, the last Sunday in September. Right, Tideland?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. 27th, Sunday! no time has been set cause I wasn't sure who's coming and I don't want to make it so early that ppl from WA and OR will have to wake up at a ridiculous time to get here.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While the rules have been phased in over several years, the new passport rules for automobile crossing went into effect June 1st. It is our Department of Homeland Security's gift to your Olympic Games effort. :mad:

Many of us have three choices -- traditional passport book, the new passport card (same form factor as a driver's license), or an enhanced driver's license from participating border states. Only four states and four provinces are participating.

----
    More details here:
    DHS: Crossing US Borders
    Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative -- US Border Crossing Requirements -- June 1, 2009

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I stand corrected.

Are the requirements for Americans travelling to Canada the same as for Canadians travelling to the US? eg: passport, destination, duration of stay, people you're visiting not on the subversives list...(Sorry, Farley)

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, ok, ok... let me make something clear... i am NOT BEHIND on my child support. the state takes whatever it is i owe them directly out of my check and has been doing so for years. since i still have some paycheck left over after they are done, i assume that they got what they wanted.

i called DSHS support division and verified that i am in good standing and the past due support issue was supposed to have been cleared up about 5 years ago. so hopefully it will be a matter of hand carrying paperwork of sorts to expedite the issues.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP has been updated with location for photo op and food.

I figured QE Park has a large area for us to park and not bother the other people who frequent the park. It also presents an opportunity for those visiting to explore the park and the "Gardens" down below.

I picked the restaurant by Riverport again for its easy access and plentiful parking. The original location in Gastown may prove difficult for parking spaces. Hope no one's allergic to italian food!

It's a all-inclusive price for those who haven't been to the Old Spaghetti Factory. This means, soup or salad, entrée, tea/coffee and ice-cream are included in the price.

Octavia, are you able to make it to the meet? If so, let me know how far of a drive it is for you. I wouldn't want to make it so early that you'd have to wake up at some ridiculous hour in order to arrive here on time.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would guess an afternoon meet and then supper would be easier for most out-of-town visitors. But, that makes it late getting home. Unless of course we all crash at Tideland's and drive back in the morning. :)

Realistically, it'll have to be an overnight trip for anyone further away than Seattle.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't do an afternoon meet because I have to start wind down and packing for the return trip. The lunch time is flexible (as long as people aren't too hungry).

Alternatively, we can reverse the lunch and the photo op

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well looks like i am out. cleared up support thing, but what i have as proof of birth is no longer acceptable so i need a certified copy of "consular record of birth abroad" which will take 4-8 weeks to obtain.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jeeeeez.... they're getting pretty strict nowadays, eh? Sorry you can't make it Dave. Next year?

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, kinda bummed. but my fault. had issues last time i was in Canada and should have taken care of this much earlier. previously i had a transcript from a church in Okinawa which is how they record births. it was acceptable in my previous life as a record of birth but is now no longer acceptable and i am pretty sure i was advised of that (at least it did ring a bell, turn on a light (dim as it was) or something or another in my brain)

another rule that is now different is that expired passports no longer can be used as proof either. this rule is a bit harder to understand since the basic rules for passports have not changed and i have had 3 over the years, the most recent expired in 2000.

but i plan to get one and just pay the fees to keep it active.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Updated first post. QE Park's fairly central I think if you're coming from any direction. We can keep Stanley Park and UBC/SFU as locations for our next meet

I didn't realise I left out NoMoShocks and LRKingII >.< I'm sorry guys!! I left you two as a maybe cause I didn't see a definite answer in your replies on the 1st page.

I think I got everyone who replied into the first post... well still waiting for Octavia to reply so she's not on the list yet.

Dave, well that sucks. If you ever feel like organising one next summer, we can come down instead lol. Maybe we'll alternate countries each meet.

20. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Sorry for the delay! Been very busy and am just now getting caught up on extra-curriculars like Priuschat. ;)

I don't think they will let me in without a passport, which I do not have yet. If anyone knows better, let me know! I'd love to visit Canada anyway and a chance to break my new car in on a road trip, to Canada, for my birthday... well. Can it get more poetic?