1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BE AWARE catalictic converter theft !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by iron-icman, Mar 9, 2019.

1. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    So guys wanting a bit of advice the other day I went out for lunch to then return to my car a mind started to drive off there was a loud tank noise coming from it had a look under the car saw a few wires thought nothing of it.then asked for it to be recovered to find out the catalictic converter had been stolen whilst I was having lunch.... CRAZY I’m very annoyed to say the least coming to cost a bit to get it all sorted and a new sensor too.

My question to you is does anyone know how to stop it from happening again. Has this happened to anyone on here and how do you overcome it again. Scared of it happening again. Thank you all

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you replaced it with an aftermarket unit, it probably won't get stolen again. If you replace it with an original Toyota one, then it'll get stolen again

iron-icman and Data Daedalus like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has happened to other Prius Chat Members.
    Seems to be happening in the UK, as I think the other threads I've seen have been from other UK members.

The other thread I saw, included a video of thieves actually stealing catalytic converters roadside, brazenly, in full daylight, as other cars passed. Wearing masks they didn't even seem to care if people saw them.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyway to really guarantee this from happening again. That is...no alarm systems available yet.
    But if it makes you feel any better?
    You are not the first Prius Chat Member, based in the UK, that has had this unfortunately happen.

Unfortunately it seems removing the Catalytic Converter is pretty easy, and the value of the metals pretty high, resulting in it becoming a all too popular crime.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Data Daedalus and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear your catalytic converter got stolen in broad daylight. Where was yours stolen? And did you report it to the police? If you haven’t, please make sure that you do, not only for statistical purposes, but the possibility of future recompense due to this shocking scandal being allowed to perpetrate in the UK (particularly London) over the last 8 months!

I’m based in London UK and had mine stolen from a Pub in Bermondsey, South London, where I was attending a funeral function Lunch.

Over 1,000 2nd Gen (2004 - 2009) Prius cars have been brazenly robbed in this manner in London alone over the last 8 months!

Please visit the link thoughtfully provided by Bisco as it contains more information and Prius owner reports about this horrendous UK epidemic.

iPhone 6s +

iron-icman likes this.
  7. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  8. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just for the record, I still have one CatStrap Security System available for sale if anyone wants it. I’ve already sold the non-alarmed version; the remaining one includes the alarm which goes of if any of these scummy scrotes try to cut through the security solution.

I’d ordered 2 from the USA (from CatStrap.net) and they took almost a month to arrive, by which time I had a different custom built solution installed on my Prius.

For peace of mind, I personally recommend installing something like this.
    While it is true the original crime syndicate who have been stealing OEM CATs from Prii are VERY unlikely to steal a replacement CAT, it’s a dead cert that if you have this type of security installed - especially here in the UK, on a replacement CAT, they’re NOT going to waste their time spending almost half an hour trying to circumvent that level of security.

Even the copycat opportunists have their minds set on a ‘quick slice with a saw and scarper’ operation.

None of them want to spend even 5 minutes doing this. Even with a ‘couldn’t give a rat’s behind’ Police Force affording them adequate protection from immediate apprehension, 5 minutes is enough time for any angry neighbourhood to form a RABID POSSE who would descend on these vermin and beat them to a bloody pulp with their own Hydraulic Jack handle, before making any evidence of their existence disappear.

Or something similar.

That’s why they’re usually done in 2 minutes maximum or they’ll walk away.

I am now no longer scared these bastards might turn up to steal my CAT. I also strongly suspect my Prius has been checked out a few times since the original theft.

Chances are, carried out their peep under the vehicle to identify the CAT, they’ve seen my protection, and they’ve jumped back in their vehicle and driven away.

Install security for peace of mind - or take the chance these CAT burglars will recognise it’s a relatively worthless (to them) replacement CAT and walk away......or some illiterate copycat morons will cut it out anyway because they’re thick a The 2 x proverbial short planks and don’t realise there are newer replacement CATs that are NOT Platinum mines!

iPhone 6s +

9. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Think they replaced with aftermarket one

10. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    [its ok thank you yes I reported it to the police I’m from Leeds where at a local retail park I was having lunch whilst it happened

QUOTE="Data Daedalus, post: 2857386, member: 115397"]Sorry to hear your catalytic converter got stolen in broad daylight. Where was yours stolen? And did you report it to the police? If you haven’t, please make sure that you do, not only for statistical purposes, but the possibility of future recompense due to this shocking scandal being allowed to perpetrate in the UK (particularly London) over the last 8 months!

I’m based in London UK and had mine stolen from a Pub in Bermondsey, South London, where I was attending a funeral function Lunch.

Over 1,000 2nd Gen (2004 - 2009) Prius cars have been brazenly robbed in this manner in London alone over the last 8 months!

Please visit the link thoughtfully provided by Bisco as it contains more information and Prius owner reports about this horrendous UK epidemic.

iPhone 6s +[/QUOTE]

11. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Only one of the two thieves would be able to be hit with the jack handle, as the other would likely be protected by the car after all the effort and twisting to get the jack handle off the jack!

12. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wittering of what I’d love to do to these parasitic vermin is largely fantasy of course, as in reality, I couldn’t even fight my way out of a paper bag.
    I’m more likely to shoo them off with a witches broom, before scurrying back indoors like a hunted rabbit.

However, if cornered, I have no doubts the ‘red mist’ would kick in - and the results wouldn’t be pretty. Out comes ‘The Hulk’ .

Meanwhile, in fantasy land; Is that protected UNDER the car, OR squished under the car while his colleague is being kicked and pummelled up and down the street by very irate residents wearing size 13 boover boots? And getting the hydraulic jack handle ultimately shoved where Sol don’t shine?

iPhone 6s +

13. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

In fantasy land, protected, yet stuck, under the car! It is sad though that people end up doing this for whatever reasons; they will eventually end up in prison. Only after they have done much more damage. The actual cost to society; firstly the theft, the waste of money for the owner and / or insurance company, the wasted time of the Prius owner - lost working hours and free time hours also; and finally the cost of the person being kept in HM Prison.

What would be interesting would be to set up several bait cars, with a few guys in a blacked-out car nearby. Throw a fishing net over the thieves before they actually cut the cat, then call the Police. Citizens arrest, captured on film (e.g. so no accusations of assault by the people making the citizen's arrest).

14. DaveT120r

DaveT120r New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the 26th March while parked at Hollywood Bowl, Tolworth, the catalytic converter was stolen from my 2008 Prius T-spirit. Another 2008 Prius parked there received the same treatment. Perhaps we were being watched and seeing us removing bowling kit assured them that we would be away for some time.
    We have both reported the crime to the police and the Bowl has CCTV installed which has been made available to the police.
    My car has been transported to my Toyota dealer where the car is serviced. My insurance company has given them the OK to make the repair.
    It seems that the parts have to be ordered from Japan, so it may take up to six weeks to get the car back on the road. I have asked them to fit a Catloc. Because I had the car taken to my choice of repairer rather than their preferred repairer I don't qualify for a courtesy car.
    Dave

15. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also puncture the tyres on their vehicle to prevent them from escaping. We’ll need to do this as a matter of priority since one of them is normally always at the wheel.

Alternatively, a large vehicle or two could be coordinated to suddenly block both entrance and exit to that street where they’re committing their crime. No escape by vehicle.

Then abundantly STRONG FISHING NETS can be used to subdue them all - hopefully without violence as they may well be packing blades and won’t want to be taken prisoner.

I suspect they’re ex-army from their respective origins (on the continent) or at least have some paramilitary training.

iPhone 6s +

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine was stolen in Manchester.
    I wrote to the chief constable saying that this was now rife and whilst it was difficult to stop it I thought they should be looking into the scrap yards where these things are bought and to whom it must be obvious that these things are stolen. By doing that, they put a stop to the grids and manhole cover thefts that were happening everywhere here.
    I received an email saying that this has now been passed to the serious crime squad.
    I never heard any more of it.
    The reason that older Prius is among the main one's targeted is because there's no factory fitted tilt or shock alarm fitted.
    I would look into that rather than try and fit guards.

17. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear your Prius was a victim of Grand Theft CAT in Manchester. Disturbing to hear that these parasitic vermin are now moving further and further North in the UK.

So, basically, like the rest of us, you got summarily fobbed off.

They’re NOT selling them to scrap yards.
    The precious metals content within these stolen Gen 2 Prii OEM CATs is so high, it’s like harbouring a Platinum Mine under every Gen 2 Prius with an OEM CAT.

They’re exporting the stolen CATs out of the UK labelled as scrap metal. The same syndicate are processing it abroad in their own makeshift factories. Have you seen the true price of high grade platinum lately?

This is a sustained operation run by a dedicated crime syndicate who have planned this crime wave very carefully.

We’re talking about pure Platinum / Palladium / Rhodium Core Matrixes within the dual pods of these OEM CATs.

The true value is much, much higher than the measly £300 to £400 being handed out by scrappers!

Nothing is being done by law enforcement in the UK because they allegedly lack the resources to tackle the issue.
    They also have ignorance on their side, as many Prius owners have no idea why this is really happening and by how much the crime syndicate is really profiting from this.

The less we know, the easier it is to continue to fob us off and pretend that this crime is unimportant in the great scheme of things.

I’m sure if the expensive super cars of the rich, famous and entitled were the ones being robbed of their CATs or other parts in broad daylight everyday, they’d have mounted an operation and caught the bastards months ago.

I’m surprised they haven’t labelled them Eco terrorists for damaging so many Eco cars in London alone - after all, London is an ULEZ zone, right? With other big cities to follow.

It sucks when the law doesn’t protect you from crimes of this magnitude purely for budgetary reasons.

iPhone 6s +

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

They may not allow them in more “civilized” places....but they don’t allow catalytic converter theft either.

Your call...

Folksy Anecdote:
    We had a brief period of copper theft in my humble town until one would-be thief hacksawed his way into a cable containing several high voltage data circuits one drizzly spring morning.
    Repair technicians found an abandoned hacksaw at the scene where the cable was half sawed through.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is probably where you are at a severe disadvantage. Considering their suspected origin, and the volume of illicit arms in your country (even after a century of arms controls), is seems highly likely that they or their scouts standing watch are armed. They know full well that none of their upstanding citizen victims are similarly armed, that only a few of their lower life victims might be.

20. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

It would be unfortunate if some high voltage cable passed close to the catalytic convertor. Many AC adapters today can actually work on DC voltage; on my Prius I have a mains extension lead that I only plug certain things into (things that can run on DC rather than AC mains).