1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beam blades vs. conventional?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure where to put this question.....but it is not about a Prius...so....

I went to NAPA to buy some new wiper blades for a non-Prius and they had a choice between very pricey "beam" blades for like $22 each, or the usual conventional one that I have always bought for $6 each.

I figured even if they were better, as the counterman tried to convince me, they could not be $16 better.

First time I have encountered this new type (although he said they have been around for awhile.

Any thoughts on if they ARE worth the extra money? I read a few things on the Web, including BTOG, and opinion is mixed, although it seems more against them than for them.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a whole thread on this, if you can find it, it might be helpful. gen 2, i think.

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm. O.K. Funny, I googled it and got a lot of hits on lots of sites, but not PriusChat. PC usually shows up near the top of google. I'll try Bing.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    pilotgrrl and Stevewoods like this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You do much better searches than I. I will have to plow through those later tonight.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I switched my winter rig to beam blades last month, after a particularly nasty New Year's trip in which heavy falling snow kept freezing up the articulation joints of the OEM blades. When iced, the original blade could no longer flex to conform to the changing shape of the windshield across the whole swipe, this leaving the center un-wiped. I could manually flex and de-ice the joints, but it wouldn't last long.

The rest position of that windshield has electric de-icing strips built in. That kept the rubber edge clear, but not so for the blade joints.

There are far less pricey versions out there. My Prius spends far less time in such conditions.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is the way I do it.

beam blades site : priuschat.com (leave the spaces out before and after the :

Where I put in "beam blades", put any key word you are looking for. If it is a real common word you will get way too many hits but beam blades was not that common.

The next part can be used on other websites also, just type " site:and the domain you are looking for."

I find most forum search features mostly useless.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are multiple types of beam blade designs out there. So how well they work, along with cost, will vary.

I didn't think the Goodyear ones I got at Costco were an improvement over the traditional wiper blades for the HHR.

I liked the OEM beam blades on the Sonic. These had the bayonet connections, as opposed to the J hook, so traditional blades may not even be an option.

I can get traditional wiper blades for as little as $3 at Ollie's, so will probably stick with them for the Camry.