1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bearing noise transaxle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tommymommy, May 27, 2023.

1. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suddenly have bearing noise. Thought it was on passenger side, but had mechanic with stethoscope listen. He is finding it at the CV axle as it inserts into the transaxle. This is a growling/howling type noise like a wheel bearing going out. It starts at around 35 MPH and increases with speed. Sounds like a truck with big tires on it. Changed fluid (40k miles since last change) and it was nice and pink. No burnt smell. No obvious metal filings noted. The average build up on the magnet same as I’d seen with prior fluid changes. This is on an ‘07 with 243k miles.

No play in wheels to indicate wheel bearing. I do notice the sound becomes slightly louder when turning to the left. After a good look under it last weekend, it does need a new passenger side sway link. I’ll replace both soon, but feel the other issue is of higher importance right now. Wheel bearing? Transaxle?

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Are the CV boots torn and ripped? Any grease flung all over? That is a lots of miles for original CV Axles.... How old are they?. I had torn boot and replaced both in my car with aftermarket.. Once you drain the transaxle it is not a bad job..But the roar sounds like a front wheel bearing...if they are original....243K was a great run. I'd go OEM on those for sure IMHO.

3. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All original. Boots intact. No grease anywhere. Only thing showing any wear is the passenger side sway link and the sway bar bushings are starting to groan and grunt over bumps. For sure, I’d rather replace CV axles than transaxle.

I know you said OEM, but what are your thoughts on Detroit axle for replacement CV axles?

#3 tommymommy, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
  4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm not familiar with Detroit axle. I went with what Oriley's auto parts had in stock. So far no issues. that was 25K and 2 years ago. For WHEEL BEARINGS I would go OEM. I have never done it but I do know with the labor involved I would rather pay more for OEM and do the job ONCE.

When I replaced all my shocks I also replaced the sway bar links.

https://a.co/d/8xYEoVL Like these. But I also went with Oriely's brand because they have grease ports on the joints and I wanted to be able to add grease every 30K or so. Which cost almost double.

#4 ColoradoCrow, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
  5. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those sway links are made by Detroit Axle. I used their sway links on another vehicle for my daughter a while back. My thoughts at this point are to replace the CV axles and sway links since I can see the links obviously need to be replaced.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  6. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

When you replaced the CV axle, did you remove the speed sensor? I’m seeing the “right” way to do it, but removing the speed sensor and tie rod end. Then I’m also seeing just dropping the control arm. Which way did you do it?

7. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So… replaced both front wheel bearings. The passenger side was really loose compared to the new one. Replaced both CV axles, both sway links, swaybar bushings and rotated tires. Front end is a lot tighter now and the creaking noise going over bumps is now gone. No longer have the howling, bearing noise. However…. Now I have a forward motion, clunking noise when taking off from a stop that sounds like it’s coming from at or to the passenger side of the Transaxle. Since I purchased aftermarket CV axles, I suspect that is the problem and will be putting the old CV axles back in this weekend. Hoping that will resolve the issue…

I initially ordered replacement wheel bearings from Toyota at $385 for both of them but they were going to get here after the time window I had to work on the car. When I called the dealership they wanted that much just for one bearing. I ended up going with Moogs. - made in Taiwan, which is not encouraging . I’m hoping they will hold up for at least 100,000 miles. In retrospect, I should’ve bought the ones from a dealership, and then returned the ones from the online Toyota dealer back to the dealership once they arrived.

8. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And one more follow up for those who may benefit. The CV axles I bought were Cardone. Getting them back out. What is a challenge because the tensioning ring does not curve in it for tips like the OEM and it was getting hung up. It took quite a bit to get them back out.

Putting them side-by-side with the OEM axles, they are 5 to 7 mm longer. This is what was causing the clunking noise when I would accelerate from a stop. They also had a lot more play on the passenger side axle on the boot closest to the Transaxle. It just moved weird. That plate was not present in the OEM axle at that boot.

Once the old CV axles were installed, the noise went away. Now my old CV axles are in good shape and the boots are intact. There’s no clicking or anything going on. The only reason I replaced them is because we were in there to do everything else and the car does have almost 244,000 miles on it.

My advice to anyone who plans to do this is to just be ready to fork out the $1400 for new CV axles from Toyota. It will save you a lot of headache even though it’s gonna really hurt your wallet.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and don't replace them unless you have a reason to.

10. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so I had really bad laryngitis when I did voice to text on this, and it changed some of my wording. Getting the A1 Cardone axles out was a challenge because the tensioning ring tips do not curve beck in toward the axle and get stuck on the transaxle during removal. On the OEM version they turn inward.

The axles are also 5-7 mm longer than the Toyota axles. This caused excessive play resulting in the clunking noise and feel on acceleration.

I wouldn’t say any of this was especially hard, except for removing the after market axles. However, I didn’t have the rust and such that someone in Northern states my have.