1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Been a while

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by JustDruling4Now, Jun 9, 2017.

1. JustDruling4Now

JustDruling4Now Junior Member

Hi everyone it's been a while since I have been here. I am back ! Now I am the owner of two Prius cars. I just bought my second Prius last Saturday. I bought the 2017 4 touring. I did not trade in my 2007 base car. It has well over two hundred thousand miles . They only wanted to give me $500.00 so I just kept it. Heck I could sell the good parts off it and make that much. It's still running ! The interior is shot and windshield has a crack in it. The A/c no longer works compressor locked up in it. They only want 17,000.00 to fix it. Aux battery has to be charged if it is let sitting more than three days . Now it's a work car. Love my new car ! I drove 300 mile to get it. Got the Blue crush metallic color. It had 30 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I paid 26,351.00 before tax. There is so much to learn about this car. I have never owned a car that has so many bell and whistles. Tried to read the owners manual but the length is overwhelming . Any really important tips please share. Thanks
    Susan

Montgomery and RCO like this.
  2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on your new ride! Always fun to get a new car! My sistsers 2005 Prius had he AC compressor go out around 280,000 miles. We replaced it with a used one for $75. It was actually the easiest AC compressor change ever, because it's an all electric AC system, so it isn't a belt driven compressor, it's a all in one compressor, you just un plug its power cord, un bolt it, and install the new one. My dad couldn't believe how easy it was!

Montgomery and RCO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome back! i hope you have the same success with your '17. all the best!(y)

Nell262 likes this.
  4. JustDruling4Now

JustDruling4Now Junior Member

Did you have to unhook the electrical battery? The though of messing around with high voltage scare the Cra p out of me. Would love more details about replacing the compressor. Did you have to recharge the Freon ? TIA

Nell262 likes this.
  5. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Of all the colors, I think the blue is the most striking. I went with white because it is the most boring. I can't believe how little you paid. You got a smoking deal!

Nell262 and 'LectroFuel like this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to replace the compressor (and the entire a/c system) in my 2005. Unfortunately, the compressor contains oil (which I didn't know) and it ran out of oil from a leak. This caused the compressor to collapse or explode and shoot small metal shards through the A/C piping, ripping the lines. That cost around $3k. I was still getting air that blew into the interior, but on the exterior it sounded like a blender blending metal. The air was warm so I knew there was a leak somewhere. Worst repair on my car ever.

BTW, I got a new compressor because the warranty was long and labor would be covered by the dealer. Based on my experience, only Toyota dealers could perform this horrible project because the shops around me were scared of the electric shock.

Nell262 likes this.
  7. Nell262

Nell262 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

What was your mileage when it went out?

8. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3