1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

beep at shutdown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by taggart, Oct 15, 2009.

1. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's possible this is just something I haven't noticed until now. 2008 touring. Normal startup and driven to work. At work, I back the car into a parking space and follow the following sequence:

1. Foot still on the brake.
    2. Hit park button
    3. Turn off a/c, radio and headlights if on
    4. Hit power button to turn vehicle off

Vehicle turns off and I get a 1 second beep with no visible idiot lights displayed. Although I am not sure, I don't believe the beep occurs every time. Any ideas?

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the car beeps once if the remote is not detected(maybe the car wants to say goodluck starting again buddy LOL), so maybe sometimes something is hiding the remote signal when you turn off the car, but I could be all wrong.....

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A beep at shutdown is usually an indication of the fob battery getting weak and in need of replacement. Try using your spare fob and see if you still get the beep. If no beep, replace the fob battery.

1 person likes this.
  4. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep my keys, fob, and phone in the same pocket. I have noticed that if the phone covers the fob in my pocket, the car doesn't see my fob. Often the car allows entry but once inside I can't start the car because the car doesn't see the fob. I have to remove the phone to get the car to start. Conversely I often can not lock the car after exiting sometimes. Again I have to move either the phone or the fob.

Anyone else have this problem and could this be happening?
    -Paul R. Haller-

5. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the replies. I am betting all of you are correct. I will use the other fob for a while and replace the battery in the current one. I have to be careful, however, that both of them are not drained. That would drive me nuts!

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd also think about checking the 12v battery. Isn't phantom beeps one of the signals that it's getting low?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the correct answer.

1 person likes this.
  8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point!!

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, other devices or conductive stuff (keys, coins) in the same pocket can interfere with the fob.

Easy fob battery test: press any button on the fob. You do not have to be near the car. A small red LED should flash. If not then the fob battery is dying.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Keeping your fob and phone in the same pocket is a good way to run down the fob battery. The radiated energy from a cell phone can cause the fob to respond repeatedly, wearing down the fob battery.

Tom

11. Jim Porta

Jim Porta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had this problem and didn't try the spare fob. I went to target and bought a 2 pack of cr2032 batterys and replaced them in both fobs. Fixed the problem. Both old batteries read just under 2.8 volts. The new ones were 3.2volts. :)