1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beep, red triangle and "fault" when driving through corner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MB31, Dec 21, 2020.

1. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This has happened three times now and every time I had been driving for over 45 minutes and it happened when going from one interstate to the next in a long bend. I think it has happened both when going left and right but not sure. Did not have this issue when driving through town, sharp corners, bumps, etc. Only on highway bends after driving for a longer time.

There is a beep sound, a red triangle on the dashboard and the radio display mentions (roughly translated): "There is a problem". All is there for max several seconds and then it's gone.

I have afterwards connected my ODBLink adapter but no faults were logged.

Does anybody know what this could be?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you checked all your fluid levels to see if they are not low?

3. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I made the assumption that I would have seen it sooner and in steeper corners as well so I did not check this. But makes sense to check, will do so as soon as it stops raining here...

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    CHECK THE OIL LEVEL!!!!!

5. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your capitals and exclamation marks made me check the oil before leaving right now for a two hour drive: EMPTY!!

The oil gauge stick thingy came out dry. There is no oil warning light on in my car and I have added some not too long ago. I'm shocked.

Thank you both, you may have saved my car.

Is it possible part of the damage was already done? How would I notice? There sometimes is a drop in power when I am pulling up but that can't be due to low oil levels can it?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That is a very bad thing! And the damage is done. But how extensive is that damage is now the question. Change it and monitor the level very closely.

GOOD LUCK!

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The combination of things in your title is the no oil warning light!

Out of interest,
    • how much oil did you add to get the oil registering on the dipstick?
    • and what level on the dipstick is now showing?

8. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I posted yesterday I had to leave asap so I added 0.75 liters (0.18 gallons) that I had in my garage.

I just checked my level and it is still showing empty so something is wrong and I will add more and won't use the car until there is a good level showing.

Usually I am not this stupid, this was not a smart thing to do at all...

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All up, this car takes 3.7 L and you will need at least 2.0 L in total (what was in there plus what you add) before it will start to show on the dipstick.

MB31 likes this.
  10. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have looked under my car and as far as I can tell there is or has been no leak.

This means I have been driving empty for quite some time and yesterday drove for two hours after adding the 0.7 liters.

I will add more oil until it shows on the dipstick. Is there anything I can do to establish what damage I may have already done and how this will affect the further lifetime of the engine?

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just hope and pray for now. If it has been too low for too long, you will probably start to get P030x (misfire) codes with all the bottom end knocking around. You could also listen to the underneath of the engine with a mechanics stethoscope while it is idling and see if you hear any bearing noises.

Hopefully, you caught it in time.