1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beep sound for B Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusOnTheFence, Nov 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a way to set an alarm for when you are using B mode? I often use it when I am slowing down (it also helps spare the breaks a bit), but then I sometimes forget to shift to D and find myself accelerating in B mode, which does not make sense. I quickly fix it, but sometimes not that quick.

I asked them to disable to beep sound for when you are in reverse (the point would be for outsiders to hear it, not the driver)--might there be an option that allows you to turn this off and on for other gears as well?

Any ideas appreciated! Please no lectures on B mode. My brakes lasted 75,000 miles so clearly the theory is not airtight. There is no problem using it when going downhill or braking.

I would appreciate responses from people who have actually tinkered with the software and have worked with the settings that enable/disable beeping when in reverse. Not just guesses. Thanks!

#1 PriusOnTheFence, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  2. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do not use B mode for routine driving (ie, level roads, normal stop and go). There is NO need to use B mode for 'sparing the brakes'. It is used for regenerative braking on long down grades. The actual disc brakes are only (only) applied on your Prius when you are at 7 mph or below or when applying brakes HARD for an emergency stop, thus, Prius brakes (discs and pads) routinely last for 100,000 miles or more. Under normal stop and go conditions, when you apply the brake pedal, regenerative braking comes into play, and the disc brakes are not even applied. Have you read your owner's manual? Highly recommended...

Fifen, jerrymildred and Maarten28 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, there is no beep, or (known) way to make it beep. agree with ed^^^ no need for b mode to slow down, just use the brakes early and gently.
    i try to anticipate stops by letting off the gas (regen) and using the brakes as little as possible (more regen)

4. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My brakes lasted 75,000 miles, so clearly the theory does not always work. And yes, I've read the manual. And of course I don't use it on level roads--that's the whole point of the question. Please, no lectures! If you've tinkered with the software that sets the beeps, by all means. My question is very specific. Thanks.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I experimented with B mode when I first got my Prius. But the more I learned about how the car worked, the less I had a good reason to use it...

jerrymildred and Maarten28 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    its only for long steep downhill grades

herqulees, Mendel Leisk and Maarten28 like this.
  7. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And just a refresher of what the Manual actually DOES say:

"Use engine braking (“B”) to maintain a safe speed when driving down a steep hill. 
    Using the brakes continuously may cause the brakes to overheat and lose effectiveness. (P. 173)"

"To use the engine braking, shift the shift lever to “B” position.
    ●During high speed driving, you may feel that deceleration by engine brak- ing is less than that of a typical vehicle.
    ●Do not continue normal driving with the transmission in “B” for a long time.
    This may cause decreased fuel economy. To prevent this, use “D” for normal driving." (P174)

"If the shift lever is in “N”, the hybrid battery (traction battery) will not be charged. When driving in heavy traffic, operate the vehicle with the shift lever in “D” or “B” to avoid discharging the battery." (p30)

If Toyota did not think the B mode actually had a function, it would not include it.

I just want to know about the warning buzzer, if it could be applied to that. It would be a good idea if it could!

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is there by federal law, useful or not. A 'downshift' gear is required, this is the closest a Prius could do.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not have a literal beep for B mode, but you can't engage cruise control in B mode.
    For some one who spends 95% of the time with CC engaged, it is a tip off.

10. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If that were the reason, the manual would not say this: ""If the shift lever is in “N”, the hybrid battery (traction battery) will not be charged. When driving in heavy traffic, operate the vehicle with the shift lever in “D” or “B” to avoid discharging the battery." (p30)"

I am not sure why people have such a beef with B mode, but in any case, this is not the question here.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't logically follow at all.
    Long downhills are the intended use. But even in flatland markets where it is totally useless, federal law still requires it to be present.

But only 75k on factory Prius brakes? Something is amiss here, many PC members get double that. Absent winter road salt corrosion problems, both the spouse and I got 100k on the original brakes of our traditional non-hybrids.
    While it makes no sense when accelerating, it also hurts nothing, not even fuel efficiency. Not a problem.

The only downsides of unnecessary B use are loss of efficiency (lost energy harvest) on downgrades shorter than when it is needed, and loss of ICE auto-stop (unnecessary engine idling). When accelerating, or when running steady speeds where the ICE must be on, it does nothing more than lock out cruise control. No harm, not foul.

12. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

13. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But if you could tell me what the code is so that I can insert responses within someone's quote, that would be very helpful!

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's a bit of manual editing. The best way I found is to quote the original, then insert a quote-close BBcode tag at the point where you wish to "interrupt" for an inline reply.

Then open a new, unattributed quote and paste the remainder of the original post between that and a final quote-close tag.

Example:

Code:
    [QUOTE="PriusOnTheFence, post: 2970199, member: 56983"]But if you could tell me what the code is[/QUOTE]

:whistle: Little bunny foo-foo :whistle:

[quote]so that I can insert responses within someone's quote, that would be very helpful![/QUOTE]
    renders as:

:whistle: Little bunny foo-foo :whistle:

bisco and PriusOnTheFence like this.
  16. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Dear Mr Leadfoot (we share the predicament btw!),

Thanks so much. I had done this, but my mistake was including the full header from the first quote on all subsequent interjections and you are showing it only needs the code:

17. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ha, silly me, I entered the code for quote and of course it entered the quote.

The response was:
    Thanks so much. I had done this, but my mistake was including the full header from the first quote on all subsequent interjections and you are showing it only needs the code with only the word quote. Nice and simple.

And nice tip on emoticons. Little bunny foo-foo should be whistled at!

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe highway vs city driving? Our driving is mostly local; and extrapolating from previous checks, the latest I'd expect to be changing is around 100K miles. This is extrapolating from my previous inspection, at 66K kms, where I found pad depth around 7 mm (3.0 mm's of wear).

Also considering minimum usable pad depth of 2mm, not Toyota spec 1mm. Really: if I opened them up and measured even 3 mm, I'd be inclined to replace anyway.

The two bottom values are useful too I think. Again, our usage is mostly urban, not a lot of easy rolling highway driving.

upload_2019-11-22_9-10-13.png

Addendum: I had in my head that new front pad thickness was 10.5 mm. It is in fact 10.0 mm. Screen grab from spreadsheet reposted, and minor edit to the text, to suit.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see post #3

no beef with b mode, more power to you

Grit likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You very much misunderstand B mode. It does none of that. There are no simultaneous contrary forces applied to the engine.

(FWIW, plenty of us on this forum are engineers.)

#20 fuzzy1, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    herqulees and jerrymildred like this.