1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beep sound for B Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusOnTheFence, Nov 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I somehow omitted the most important part: essentially all decelerations to stop signs and stop lights, not just the downhills. B mode causes some loss of energy harvest in these cases.

Still no loss when accelerating, or at steady speed.

2. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, I am not sure who spoke of loss of energy harvest. Surely not me. I never said a word about it. Not the concern in this post. I think you are confusing my query with the many others who talk about whether the B mode affects efficiency. Once again, not the concern in this post.

Second, you clearly have not tried to accelerate in B mode. The car is sluggish. I realize I am in B mode because the car is simply not accelerating as fast as it normally does. Which kinna makes sense when the gear is in BRAKE MODE. Frankly, I can't believe we are having this argument.

Finally, once again, this is all irrelevant to my question. I am sure there are other posts where this info might be useful, if it is correct.

#22 PriusOnTheFence, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  3. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine was almost 2 at 75,000 and they made me change it, said it would not pass inspections in a few months. They measured it in front of me. I probably drive fast and break often, though I do try to break gently. I was very disappointed, because of course I knew what the average is for this car.

4. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, saw that, thanks. I still like to use it (I used to drive manual and I like the downshifting), plus I don't drive gently, but fast, so I can't rely on soft breaking.

You probably have great mileage. What is it btw?

Finally, I am hoping someone who actually has tinkered with the software and is a trained engineer might chip in. I know this is not known, because no one asks for it (I asked my dealer), but that does not mean that the setting is not possible. As we said, you can turn it off and on for Reverse. Maybe for B. Plus they should make it available, as it is the easiest to forget and keep driving in B, which even the manual explicitly says you should not do for long--but it advises you to use it...

bisco likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Disclaimer: since you are unwilling to mention which (if any) Prius you own, I am generalizing. I owned a 2009 Gen 2 and own a 2012 v. Most of my testing of B was in the Gen 2.

It is sluggish, just as sluggish as any other time you need to accelerate. If you were hoping for rapid acceleration, you have the wrong car.

I gave my best answer to your original question in post #9. Should you not be a user of Cruise Control, it won't help.

I am distressed about your issues with breaking, I have owned two and not had anything break so far. (I replaced a head light bulb today, I run with low beams on constantly) Lets hope you are just misspelling.

Grit and fuzzy1 like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    New set of front pads is around $100. And you got 75K miles out of them. Not a big expenditure. (y)

7. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The cost was more than $750, as of course it was both front and back. Plus you have to change the rotors or resurface the old ones, which apparently costs more. The two serious dealers in my town gave the same estimate. This is 25% less life than the average. I was right to be disappointed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not unwilling to mention anything, I am on 3rd Gen Prius forum and it does not make a difference which year (2010 ftr).

The car is not sluggish, it's just fine for a hybrid. It's sluggish when you try to accelerate with B, which is exactly what you should expect, as the car is trying to brake! Cruise control is irrelevant here, of course it does not work when you are braking.

And yes, the brakes were disappointing.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just correcting my own omission about what B mode actually does and does not do.

You have made false claims about what B does.
    You are clearly wrong. I have unintentionally done it numerous times, in both my Prii, when forgetting to return to B mode after hills. Beyond the dash display indicator, the only car behavioral clue that reminded me was more aggressive coasting deceleration.
    Likewise. B mode has been discussed in probably hundreds of threads here since you first signed up.

The only case that actually matters, increased decel when nominally coasting, ought to be detectable to your 'butt dyno'.

If you truly believe that it hampers your acceleration -- I can't recall anyone else here expressing that idea, so no one has looked to add a beep -- then that supposed sluggishness should also be clue, and you should be able to immediately snap it back into D with a quick stroke of the right hand. Problem solved.

#29 fuzzy1, Nov 22, 2019
  10. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have quoted the manual, so where you see the error I do not know. You misunderstand what I am saying.

Your observations are not relevant to my question, which has not been posed on this forum (as opposed to the topic you are going on about, which has been discussed, exhaustively, but with continuing confusion).

As logic suggests, when a car is placed in BRAKE mode it does not only see an increase in deceleration, but a decrease in acceleration. You may have not noted that, but I note it very distinctly, maybe because I accelerate aggressively (then I see the difference in acceleration, which is how I realize I am in B--so the effect is strong enough to alert me that I have the wrong gear. Even the manual says you should not keep it when driving normally).

I am asking a different question. It's about software. Not what B mode does. I am sure there are other posts where your comments are helpful.

#30 PriusOnTheFence, Nov 22, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  11. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

#31 PriusOnTheFence, Nov 22, 2019
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius brakes are funny. most people seem to get well over 100k, while a few go bad around 40-60.

it is usually attributed to snow/salt/lack of maintenance, but whoknkows?

another role is dealer honesty

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appeared that you were claiming decreased acceleration in B mode. I'm calling that out as false, other than any contribution from the placebo effect.

Please re-read that portion of the manual you quoted. The only listed downside to unnecessary B mode use is:

"This may cause decreased fuel economy."

The later part is the logical principal known as "non sequitur".

B mode is entirely computer controlled. The computer knows that it is meaningless, to not use it, when the 'go' pedal is pushing acceleration into the right half of the HSI gauge. It knows to use this only when in the left half, and even then, mostly just when in the narrow CHG band at the extreme left.

#33 fuzzy1, Nov 22, 2019
  14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The risk of being out of gear / in neutral down a steep hill is directly proportional to total weight, speed of your vehicle is traveling and quality of the braking system.

Back in the day In a heavy vehicle you can hit a threshold where the types of brakes they had on cars would not be enough to safely stop quickly if their was a hazardous situation...These law are antiquated and is not relevant to much lighter vehicles specifically designed for fuel efficiency, especially vehicles with regenerative braking and all wheel disc brakes.

15. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the computer knows it is meaningless, then where does the decline in fuel efficiency come from? And why is it recommended to switch to D and not to remain in B for long drives? If what you say is true, it should make no difference.

But of course there is a difference as anyone who accelerates aggressively with B gear would confirm.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Answered at #11 and #21.
    All drives must include at least one stop. Most long drives include many more mild decelerations, stop signs, stop lights, short hills, etc. See #11 and #21.

17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before the wine kicks in...you'll never fail an inspection due to the lack of brake pads thickness. There is a reason why we call them "stealerships" here for a reason. Red wine rules!

18. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    11 and 21 contradict the manual that says very clearly that it harms efficiency.

Not sure why you are so wedded to this view, it does not make sense.

Also, it is not related to my concern. Take care.

#38 PriusOnTheFence, Nov 22, 2019
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I very clearly call out efficiency losses in certain situations.

Long drives typically include segments with many of those situations. B is a No-Op during other segments, but never boosts efficiency to compensate for those lossy segments. Thus, the overall trip efficiency is hurt. This is consistent with the Owner's Manual statement.

You can't find anything in the manual that suggests B mode hurts acceleration.
    Not sure why you are wedded to the claim that B mode hurts acceleration, it does not make sense.

#39 fuzzy1, Nov 22, 2019
  20. PriusOnTheFence

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One last time. The manual says:
    "
    ●Do not continue normal driving with the transmission in “B” for a long time.
    This may cause decreased fuel economy. To prevent this, use “D” for normal driving."

Ie, you should not be driving in B for a long time. And if it had no effect on the engine, the manual would not be giving this instruction.

I want a buzzing sound to remind me when I have shifted to B. Not sure why this causes so much opposition. I think you are rehearsing a different argument, about B and efficiency, and the comments are not relevant here, even if they were correct.