1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beeping when trying to trickle charge?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by gene, Mar 20, 2008.

1. gene

gene Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I went away for a few weeks and the 12volt battery in my Prius died while I was gone.

It's in my garage, face in, so I can't easily jump it. I have a trickle charger, and am fine with waiting for it to charge, but when I hook it up, there is a beeping/honking every second or so (likely using all the juice from the trickle charger).

It was locked, and the alarm was probably on - is this the alarm trying to go off?

I had turned the SKS off (or thought I did) before I left - but with the trickle charger hooked up, the SKS light also flashes (in time with the aborted-sounding beep/honk).

Does anyone have any suggestions aside from looong jumper cables or trying to get the rear hatch open?

I did read through some of the threads on this topic, but didn't see anyone having this particular issue. I had hoped I could just hook up the trickle charger tonight and head out to get a new battery tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery boosters/jumpers are nice and work great as another option. There are pretty long cables that will reach too.

But don't sweat the beeping/noise, the Prius tends to do that with very low battery charges...just keep trickling and ignore the funny looks from the neighbors.:gossip:

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Some trickle chargers don't supply enough power to get over the initial current that is required to "restart" the electronics that is on when the car is off. It could very well be the alarm that is tripped as they usually do trip if power is removed then reapplied. Try resetting the alarm with the fob. If that doesn't work, you'll need a charger with more oompf or a good battery to jump from.

It's also possible the brake booster is trying to run for a 1/2 sec. (40 amp pulse) and that WILL overwhelm a trickle charger. Many systems on the Prius will run if they see the fob, without your trying to start the car or pressing the brake pedal. It's designed to "get ready" when it sees the fob. You could also try leaving the fob in the house and applying the trickle charger.

But it sounds like you need a battery or charger with oompf.

4. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you really want to use the trickle charger, then disconnect one of the cables off the 12 volt battery. That way, you can charge the battery without anything drawing down the power.
    The fact that you are "head first" in the garage shouldn't be an impediment to using jumper cables, as the battery is in the back. Since you're already accessing the battery, simply attach the jumper cables as you would for any car. It will be a lot quicker than using a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger, and as soon as you get it started, the HV battery will take over charging the 12 volt. Just leave the car "on" and in Park for a while, or go for a short drive.

5. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gene, I think I mis-read your original post. It appears you are trying to trickle charge the battery from the jump posts under the hood, not directly at the 12 volt battery.
    Maybe one of the electrical engineers can voice an opinion, but I would think there might be too much resistance in the wiring for a 1 or 2 amp charger to be able to charge the 12 volt battery from the front of the car.
    I imagine that you've got the vehicle going by now. What did you do?

6. Christian_

Christian_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same issue as described by the poster. When trying to charge through the jump port under the hood I heard the rhythmic beeping/honking. I then got an extension cord and went on to charge the battery directly, which worked fine, without the honking.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well if your 12 volt battery is so low that a trickle charger is struggling with it the battery needs to be replaced. Charging the battery directly on a G2 is very dangerous to your wallet as so many posters have messed it up and caused big damage to the car. It should make little difference charging to the front jump point except its much more safer. I have been trickle charging my healthy battery for over 13 years never ever at the battery itself with no issues.

You are not measuring the battery voltage at the front jump point to see how low it is. It may be completely dead when the battery is completely dead putting a charger on it sometimes does really bad things. Bad things are it pulls alot of initial inrush current creating a surge on the 12 volt buss which is very bad.

If I killed my 12 volt battery dead on my G2 I would not bother charging it I would go buy a new battery as that dead battery will be suspect from here on out as sulphation has begun. It will never be reliable and will never hold a full charge again. Its no big deal on any other car but on a G2 shenanigans with the 12 volts can be very expensive. It is the last thing you should mess with on this car.

If you had a volt meter I could prove my point to you.