1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

before I order all willy nilly thread sizes battery bolt down and rear seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Feb 2, 2018.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone know the thread sizes for the bolts that bolt down the battery and the rear seat one too? I have a cross thread on the smaller of the rear seats and on one of the holes to bolt the battery down. The rear seat is a bigger one than the battery bolt down.
    I am going to have to order taps on ebay to repair the threading, but prefer not to take this apart right now just to get the thread sizes if someone here might know them.
    Let me know
    terramir

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think I can help with that.............

Battery mounts are 8mm

Seat mounts are 10mm

Both are 1.25 pitch

terramir and SFO like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just curious, were you using some sort of electric impact driver?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is where the friendly neighborhood brick-and-mortar hardware store still has an advantage—you can walk in with the old bolts and say "like these". :)

-Chap

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you've got either the bolt or the nut with threads intact, you can test-fit the other side of the equation, know for sure. Since not all thread locations are damaged, you should be able to sort it out. For weld-nuts you can't take along, just take the bolt from an undamaged adjacent weld-nut location. If in doubt, just buy several kinds, keep them organized, go back and test fit.

padroo likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can get more specific...

Battery mounts 8mm x 1.25 with a captured flat washer. Length under the head is 18mm

Seat bolts 10mm x 1.25 with a flange style head (integral washer) with 26mm length under the head.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Pay dirt! (y)

I worked in steel detailing for a few years, and one place in particular, a fabricator's in-house detailing office, was an eye-opener. Down the hall was the purchasing department, and it was no-stone-left-unturned, no ambiguity: fasteners needed to be completely spec'd. Enjoy that approach.

McMaster-Carr is a good reference by the way, their online catalogue might help. In a pinch you could actually order from them, but yeah, local hardware stores now are pretty good at stocking metric.

padroo likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ;)
    In Canada, maybe. It is still spotty here in the US of A.
    You guys officially went metric. The US officially waffled & failed.

9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're somewhere, lost, between the two systems. Engineering offices in particular are maddening, bridging the two systems. Most equipment we were working with was still imperial, or soft-converted to metric, which was even worse. The latter being imperial items with the specs and dims converted to metric.

Hardware stores and lumber yards, most everything's still imperial, sheets of plywood, 2x's, screws nails. There's a dusty metric bolt section, down at the end.

Grocery stores show prices per pound prominently, with a little metric translation under. Jars, margarine/mayo tubs and the like, are largely still imperial weights/volumes, BUT display grams and cc, which makes for maddening price comparison calculations, until you twig that it's more'n like one pint vs two vs three.

Missing person reports on the news, used to be completely in metric, the person's weight/height. They've gone back to feet and inches, pounds. Maybe they weren't finding people, lol.

To be fair, litres of milk, gas what have you, has worked out ok. Ditto for temperature. It all kinda begs the question though, with our trading partner to the south...

Oh, and those early 2016 (US) Prius, with no kmh on the speedo. I wonder if the inverse held true: were the first Canadian Prius unable to display mph.

padroo likes this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Other oddities, you'll get weather reports saying nonsense like "we're expecting upwards of 30.5 centimeters of snow overnight", groan.

One of my "windmills" IS conversions.

Thirty or more years back, I was working on a conveyor job with a reclaim tunnel (conveyor running in a tunnel under stockpile(s), being fed by the piles above. The materials handling department had issued drawings calling for a slight slope on the tunnel, specifically 1.1935 degrees.

This puzzled me, I mean: why?? I talked the originator of the drawing, he wasn't sure, it had a history, had been thus when he took it over. Struck out with several other people. Finally another structural draftsman, who just happened to be listening in, said he seemed to recall it was 1/4" in 12" pitch at one time...

This was after the introduction of AutoCad to our office, so accuracy, being on the same page, was paramount. A .25 in 12 pitch, aka 1/48, is succinct, precise, a thing of beauty. The 1.1935 degrees is a bastardized approximation, ugh.

More recently, another conveyor job, someone intially layed out the site plan with bearings and distances. And someone else decreed that all the pivot points, deflections, interesections, should be converted to northing's and eastings, and the initial setout strategy no longer mentioned. So we ended up with conveyors meeting at 89.999 degrees. Fabricators dutifully noted that number: we asked for it, what can they do...

Bottom line, if something's established in nice, round, unambiguous units, whatever they may be, please, please, please: stick with them.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember some things from the early metric conversion there.
    One of the early food items to shift to metric was sugar. 5 lb changed to 2 Kg (4.4 lb) People complained due to the smaller package, thinking the overall price had gone up. I believe they then decided that where possible the new metric packages would be larger than the old ones.
    When the speed limits changed, the car I was driving had mph and had kph in blue numbering. That was a problem. The numbers disappeared at night with the blue speedometer lighting.At that time you could purchase adhesive scales to convert your speedometer. I put on one that had kph in yellow, solving the issue.
    I left in 1980, before fuel made the conversion. I have been back a number of times since then though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mendel, mine conveyors?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, mining. Crushing, stockpiles, overland, process plants. Interesting work, believe it or not, lol. I loved AutoCad when it came in, days spent beating your head against geometry a thing of the past.

Did a lot of other stuff too, and concrete, steel detailing. The latter was anything and everything, a fair amount of US institutional buildings, hospitals, schools, whatever. US jobs were nice, the engineers feeding us drawings tended to be very hands-on, gave you what you needed.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks tmr-jwap for the specs now I can just order the m10 tap I'll have to check my drawer on the m8 1st my m10 is definitely a m10x1.0. Anyway thanks for the specs.
    terramir
    Ps: how this became an imperial metric thread.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah sorry about that. :oops:

18. MountainDriver

MountainDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, and derail the lovely unit discussion...

I have a similar problem to the original poster - someone who worked on my car previously has stripped a bunch of the bolts and captive nuts, and also lost a bunch of bolts*.

Can anyone say what size and pitch are the bolts that hold the battery modules in place from below? How about the smaller bolts that hold the battery case together?

*among other things which annoy me far more - someone who fails to put bolts back in with car is a fool / lazy, but... to find out that the car was supposed to have a trunk light which they didn't bother to put back is infurating.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is bolts going into weld-nuts on the car body? I would go with my post #5. Buy an assortment of small metric bolts, various diameters and lengths, trial fit.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. MountainDriver

MountainDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I can make out, there are four bolt sizes involved in removing and reinstalling the battery. In descending order of size, they are:

1) The ones that hold the seat in place: 10mmx1.25 (TMR-JWAP above)
    2) The ones that hold the battery in place: 8mmx1.25 (TMR-JWAP above)
    3) The ones that hold the battery case together: ???
    4) The ones that hold the individual modules into the bottom of the case: ???

I was just trying to avoid a trip into town to figure out (3) and (4) if anyone knew. Local hardware stores are cheap enough for nuts and bolts, but I'm going to need at least one tapping tool so I thought to get it online.